Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Musical Moment

Wednesdays are my long day. Go to work at nine, get home at nine. Makes for an exhausting day.

Today as I was leaving job #2, I was a bit put out that that my Wednesday parking spot was taken...it's much closer to the front door, and so shortens the space I have to cross with my cello (Wednesday is cello teaching day) so I had to walk ALL the way over to my other usual spot with cello in tow in the now bitter cold weather. Not exactly thrilled at that moment.

When all of a sudden, as I approach my car, I hear a muted noise. It gets louder little by little...and I soon realize it was coming from the sky and was heading for me. It's twilight, but it's closer to night than sunset...but I look up and can discern a 'V' of black spots overhead. A gaggle of Canadian geese were flying over, honking merrily away. They pass over me, as I stand mesmerized by the sound and magic of that moment. Then I realize the sound doesn't really fade, but goes in and out between mp  and f. With the growing dark I could no longer see any spots, but there must have been a few more flyovers happening at that moment. A symphony of honks...in surround sound.

Totally made my night.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I forget how much I liked Canadian Geese until things like that happen. To me or others, it matters not.

The Tenneys said...

Nice. When I was able to volunteer with Zac at the Rio Grande Farm, there were always geese and cranes flying around and eating in the fields. A truly amazing sight and sound.