Monday, November 14, 2011

Great Expectations...

I am reading Great Expectations for the first time. Never seen the movie (or movies, I would be surprised if there was only one in existence), know nothing of the story.

First impressions: Poor Pip, really has no one on his side except sweet Joe. This Ms. Havisham character is a crazy person! (for those of you who have seen P.S. I Love You, I NEVER got the reference until now...k, totally watching that tonight)

Second impression:s I hate Pip. He's a thankless nobody who is totally blind and can't see he is totally being used and turning his back on the only ones who truly love him. Boo! Can't really blame Estella, she was brought up to be that way. Go visit Joe and Biddy!!

Third impressions: I like Herbert. Served Pip right for how he treated the ones he loves for his life to be turned upside down like that. (eh, his benefactor is on trial at this point...) Oh, and going a little earlier: You idiot, why did you go into the middle of NOWHERE by yourself...duh, it's a set up!

Fourth impressions: Haven't gotten there yet. Hopes: he goes back to Joe and Biddy, marries Biddy, has cute babies, stays in contact with wonderful, deserving Herbert and takes that clerk position. What's probably going to happen: he's going to continue to be an idiot like a lot of dumb freaking boys! And I will never read this book again. Mr. Dickens, I hope you have my very happy ending ready for me.

1 comment:

Jane said...

If it helps, the movies (there are plural) are almost never the same as the book. In some cases, so poorly transposed that you can't even tell it's based on a book.