Friday, December 12, 2008

Pro-nun-cia-tion...and I should've been...

So we moved as a family to New Mexico when I was 12 years old. In the town we moved to, as with most towns in America, there was a street call Northern and a street called Southern...

I, being the smart person that I am, mispronounced the word "Southern". Because I truly thought that this was the correct way to pronounce it:

South-----ern. (the 'south' part of the word being pronounced like the word 'South'...as in 'North, South, East, West).

Somewhere in my elementary education, the fact that it was pronounce "Suh-thern" did not make it into my ear and brain...

Yeah...I am being serious.

Now, I still pronounce things incorrectly, most usually names...which is why sometimes I really don't like a certain part of my job...I don't mind calling people, but I do mind mis-pronouncing the patients name...and guessing whether the person on the other side of the phone is male or female...

It wasn't until about a year ago I figured out that this word: hors d'oeuvrves...

is a fairly common word that I have heard a number of times. I always figured it was spelled something like: orderves...:)

//////////////////////////////////////////

I should've been a detective! :)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Weird how we learn words and language. I still think chore-us and choy-eyer when I see chorus and choir even though I know not to say it that way. It has to be a conscious thought to say it correctly.