Friday, December 5, 2008

Birthdays...

Today is a big day for birthdays for me. Two very special people in my life came into this world today a few years ago...okay, maybe more than just a few.

The one I have known the longest is one of my two BFF's...the other is my brother in law. :)

//////////////////////////////////////////////

BECKY

My first year of college I was in a very large music theory class. I quickly discovered that there was a decent group of us who were Mormon. Becky was one that I didn't know was Mormon until further on into the year. At the beginning of our sophomore year, she spotted me walking out of the back of Grady Gammage, came up to me and asked me if I would be her friend. That was the start of our friendship together.

I love this picture because it shows her picture perfect smile, her lovely spunky attitude, and she is sitting in a teacup at Disneyland. We went there twice together, once just the two of us, the second time with two other good friends. She never was able to talk me into going on this ride with her, but I went on practically every other one there. Her family are Disney fanatics. And, a little trivia for you, her birthday is the same as Walt Disney's. Cool, huh?

Then there is Matt. I didn't like him at all at first, to be honest with you. But an old friend of ours pointed out to me that they were perfect for each other, and she was right. I was jealous of Matt, because he took up a lot of the time that she and I had spent together, but I was also so so happy for her...Matt hasn't been perfect of course, but he is such a good guy and I have grown to love him as well. He just was sent out to Afghanistan and he could use any other prayers any of you could offer...I am so happy that they were able to spend Thanksgiving together, originally he wasn't going to be able to but his schedule was changed (yay).

This is on their wedding day. I am behind the scenes when this picture was taken. I didn't have my endowment yet, so I couldn't go inside and help her change into her dress and get ready, which she really wanted, so she arranged for the church building next to the temple to be open for our use. Well, it was locked, and she nearly started crying she was so upset. It was all I could do to keep her from falling to pieces, and she had just gotten her makeup professionally done and I was not about to be the reason for it to get ruined. I was so touched that she wanted me to be such a huge part of her day. I was one of her bridesmaids and that was enough for me.

It took about a year after the wedding before she and I started talking on a regular basis again, but she has always been there for me. We don't always agree, and we are so very different, but we love each other dearly and I am so thankful for her in my life.

Happy birthday my friend! You are a year older than me for 5 months! :)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

ISON

Boy, when Emily told me she had met a guy, I was excited for her. Then she told me the story of how he got her number, and I was impressed. Then they started dating and I was amazed with how consistent he was, how his head was screwed on right, how he was so very patient with her...then I met him and saw the two of them together...reality sunk in...and I got nervous...I was losing my person that I called right after work a lot of days just to talk with...

And yes, I got jealous. Not from a 'I am the older sister so I should be getting married first' standpoint at all. I was jealous that she had a guy, for sure, and I didn't. But I was also jealous of him, but he was taking up the time that previously was occupied by me and then some. :) At least, that's how it was initially. But I already went through that experience twice with my two best friends, so I knew what to expect, quickly repented, and I got to know more about him and became more and more comfortable with the fact that he really was a great guy and worthy of my sister...and I have INCREDIBLY high standards when it comes to my baby sister...

He is a fabulous addition to our family. I really do think the world of him. He is fun, kind, tall, handsome, of good report, praiseworthy, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and my word is he a handy guy.

So, I am so happy you are a part of our family Ison, and I hope that you have a wonderful birthday!

5 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

What sweet birthday tributes!! You are one of the best people I know at being a supersuper friend:)

Jane said...

Dang you're a sweet thing! I don't think I ever apologized for being jealous of my time with my sisters, even after they met good guys and had two kids and are insanely happy...
Are all the guys you know in the military?

Elizabeth said...

lol, no, not all of them. My Dad isn't...although he was in the Army Reserve for a short while. None of my cousins are...my other BFF's husband isn't. Both of my grandfather's were in the military...

EmilyLemily said...

Lots of military! Let's hear it for military! Yay for Ison being in the Air Force! Yay for 2 of my brothers-in-law being in the Army! :)

That was a really sweet tribute, Elizabeth. I read it to Ison and he really enjoyed it. And we had a great time yesterday for his birthday. Lots of fun. Can't wait to see you for Christmas!

Becky said...

Thank you!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST FRIEND THAT I COULD EVER HAVE!!! I LOVE YOU!!! Only 3 more weeks and we can actually see eachother!!