Friday, December 5, 2008

Anyone need a Cellist??? and one thing I learned today...

I have already played my cello once this holiday season. I am playing 3 more times within the following 8 days...if I was taking it home with me I have a feeling it would be many more times...

Yesterday: Relief Society/Elders Quorum dinner
Tomorrow: Funeral (I am playing a duet with a violinist in the ward of Silent Night...you might think it weird for a funeral, but re-read the text and then watch Elder Wirthlin's funeral on the Church website...for which you will need a whole box of tissues if you are anything like me...where President Packer's talk was a re-reading of Elder Wirthlin's last written testimony published in the Deseret Morning news...found...wait a minute, let me find the link...still looking...HERE...WELL WORTH READING BY THE WAY...)
Friday: I THINK I have been recruited to play for my work Christmas party Friday by one of the doctors...maybe...
Sunday: Church...I think...again, Silent Night duet.

So...I think we tugged a few heart-strings last night...it's the song, I swear it is. We didn't do anything special. And my cello, once it's warmed up, is just lovely. AND it's the Spirit. I swear, it's not me, I promise. I really am pretty rough right now...I REALLY need to get back into practicing...anyways, Silent Night just does people in. It's a GREAT hymn. It's just spectacular...

///////////////////////////////////////////

Among the many things I read today, mostly all about Stravinsky, the one thing that I found extremely interesting is a bio on Walt Disney. I never have read much about him before. Minus the chain smoking which eventually led to his death and his questionable statement to congress about certain people and even SAG being involved in a communist conspiracy back in the days where that happened a lot, he was a pretty cool guy...

As I read his history, I realized how many of his films I don't have, which would be all of them except for Mary Poppins. 'His films' meaning the ones that he himself actually supervised and was alive while they were in production...yeah, not one of them. Except for I know I have Cinderella somewhere, I just can't find it...I mean, I collect Cinderella movies...I KNOW I have it somewhere...where is it anyways???

So on my Christmas wish list is:

ALL of the old Disney movies. (Emily, here is your hint...)

Seriously, he (by the way, I am talking about Disney) was a cool guy.

I looked at the list of all the Academy Awards that he won...for which he holds the record, and he also holds the record for most nominations as well...anyways, I know each movie, short, documentary, etc. for which he won an award quite well. I have probably seen all of them somewhere around a million times.

I watched the Disney Channel FAR too much as a child. I am glad that they showed all of the old Disney shorts though. I didn't realize until reading this bio today what a big deal the short Steamboat Willie was!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Do you want to play for our Christmas program on the 21st?
And I love the Walt too. :)

Janel said...

HI!