Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Patients and Patience...and sick??

"Hi, this is (insert Dr's name) office, I am calling to remind (insert patients name) of their appointment tomorrow at (insert time between 8:00am and 5:00pm)".

"You know, I don't think I should come in tomorrow, I have been coughing and wheezing a lot, and I just don't think I should come in."

(me, slightly confused by this response) "Well, I can cancel your appointment, but you do know that this is your pulmonary dr's office, and if you are having a hard time breathing you should come in to see the doctor."

"Yeah, but this is a different kind of doctors office...this is where people go to get oxygen and things like that...maybe you can help me, what should I do to take care of this?"

(me, wondering what this world has come to) "Well, I am not a nurse, I just call people to remind them of their appointments"

"But you see, I am..."

(me, not wanting to hear all the LOVELY details of her current sickness) "I will transfer you to the nurses voicemail, leave a message there and the nurse will call you back"
I relayed this conversation to her doctors nurse a few hours later...she thought I was kidding...

Seriously people...why would anyone wait until they were healthy to see a doctor? What is the point of seeing a doctor when you are healthy??? Is it just me? And this isn't just a once in a while thing, I get at least 2 people a week who cancel their appointments because they are sick with something that our doctors actually treat...

Come ON people!

Oh, I have had some crazy ones this week...

For example:

"No, my other doctors appointment is at 4pm, this appointment is earlier"

"Sir, I am looking at the computer and you are scheduled for 4pm..."

"Wait just a minute, and let me grab my calender..."

Five minutes later...

"Okay, now let me see...tomorrow is what date?"

(me, not amused...) "It is (insert day of the week, followed by date, month and year)"

"Okay (grand pause....) oh, you know what, you were right (chuckling), it is at 4pm, my other appointment is earlier that day"

"Alright sir, we will see you tomorrow" and not waiting for a response the receiver found itself back in it's home, slightly bruised by the effort I put into hanging it back up...

Oh boy, there is a reason why 'patients' and 'patience' sound exactly the same...you have to learn the latter to deal with the former...

At least I will have some GREAT stories to tell...

/////////////////////////////////////////

Speaking of being sick...I have a very STRONG feeling that I will be calling in tomorrow...three people in our office have either had that LOVELY stomach virus that has been going around OR they live with someone that has it...and from what I understand (one being one of the doctors) it knocked all of them off of their feet...my stomach is doing acrobatics right now as I type this...I am not looking forward to this...:(

2 comments:

Candice said...

Hope you feel better! Sounds like you get all kinds of stories while making your phone calls. Too funny!

Thanaglim said...

oh my gosh, when I worked at a psychiatrist office I had to call people too. One time this guy yelled at me for calling him to remind him of his appointment. I thought of saying no wonder you have to see a psychiatrist but unfortunately you can't say that cause you'd get in trouble. There are some crazies out there.

Hope you feel better.