Saturday, March 28, 2009

Welcome Spring...

NOTE: if you are squeamish around bugs, don't scroll down...

As many of you are quite aware, spring is in the air! (Hey, that rhymed, and I didn't even try!)

In the air...as in there is pollen EVERYWHERE (I am on a roll!)

Along with the warmer weather that most of us have been looking forward to since the beginning of November, come April showers, trees covered in lovely flowers and budding leaves...

and bugs...

Thursday was the first time this year we have had to call the Pest guy over outside of his regular monthly visit. The garage was being taken over by ants...

In the South, we supersize our bugs.

Most of you know moths very well. They are incredibly annoying when they are inside your house. They eat your clothes, they take suicide dives at anything that shines...

Rachel was in the 'other' room (I am not sure what exactly to call the room, it's just kinda there) reading her book while I was watching 'For The Love Of The Game' on TV since I haven't seen that movie in a REALLY LONG TIME. She kept hearing a scratching sound at the back door. So after a while she lifted up the screen and found this little guy:

Or should I say this big guy:

I think I blinded him with my flash...or maybe I dazzled him...maybe he was on the road looking for the brightest possible light to dive bomb at, and when I took the flash he thought he found it...

I was amazed at how well he took the abuse of getting his picture taken...


Looks like a greyed out butterfly, doesn't it?


I wish I had a better camera...the attempt here was to show this guys antennae! In the Lord of the Rings, when Gandalf talks to the moth, I was amazed by the fuzzy looking antennae...I guess I had never noticed that about moths because they were too small to see...

3 comments:

Jane said...

Holy Smokes! That is a big dude. If those are the price of thunderstorms...maybe I'm okay without the noise.

EmilyLemily said...

That is so cool! I love the fuzzy antennas!!

The Allen Fam said...

I still think that the last pix looks like the bug's butt.