Thursday, November 22, 2012

Ghost of Thanksgivings Past...

Been pondering where and who I was with for past Thanksgivings. Most obviously were with my immediate family. But there have been quite a few I have spent away from home.

While in Alabama, I spent 5 Thanksgivings there. One was with the Hutchison's, one of my FAVORITE families out there. Jan whipped up a marvelous feast. One was with my roommate Lindsey. That Thanksgiving was memorable...her sister-in-law gave birth while we were up there. I felt terribly intrusive being there during this momentous occassion! It slightly messed up the main meal, but it was fixed. I also lost my driver's license and credit cards while I was there...the insert to my wallet fell out of my purse/bag and none of us could find it.

Another was with my boyfriend at the time Mark. It was a grand family affair. It was neat to do a Thanksgiving with such a large family. I had a great time! And the food was amazing.

Another I spent with the Willis family...that was probably the BEST Thanksgiving I spent away from home. Stephanie was the second counselor in the YW presidency, and I was the secretary. Her birthday was the day before, I believe, so not only did we have a feast but there was birthday goodies as well! And we all went Black Friday shopping together, we watched movies, I fell down the stairs...good times!

I believe, if I remember correctly, I spent Thanksgiving once in Atlanta with Reva and her family! One of my favorite people, we had a blasty blast of a time!

I also think I spent one Thanksgiving with my extended family in Arizona one year instead of making the drive home.

This is my second Thanksgiving in Utah. I did head home one Thanksgiving since moving here, but I decided it would be far better to stay here this weekend and not have to stress about driving and weather and such.

One Thanksgiving was spent with my cousin John, his family and his Uncle's family. We had a lovely time that year.

The best Thanksgivings though are the ones when I get to be home with my parents and sister, and now with her family. My Dad usually smokes the turkey, which makes it super flavorful. It's quite yummy...

And now I am making my own turkey. We are having a Madsen cousin Thanksgiving (plus a few from John's in-laws family...)! I feel so grown up!! Praying that the gravy and turkey and everything turn out!!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Such Thanksgiving adventures you have had!
I don't think I have ever made dinner competely on my own before. You rock!