Monday, November 12, 2012

Booklist

A few weeks ago I did one of my favorite things to do.

I asked the facebooks what book I should read next.

Really, you ought to try it. It's an amazing thing to do. I have a list of 40 books, plus 5 authors and a few goodreads booklists to now devour. It totally made my month.

(If you are interested, check out the status update from October 16th on my facebook page...you'll love it too, I promise)

To stave off insane loneliness and depression, I read. Read and read and read. I am a much healthier person when I do this. Really, I am. I read about women with gumption (looooooooove that word) and I want to soak in the best of their characters and become more like them. I read about men with heart, or men who lack it, and wonder about Mr. Right out there, which one he is...

I read about adventures. I read about pain. I read about wonderous things. I just love it.

I do believe historical fiction is my favorite type of fiction. Although I love a good science fiction, as long as it isn't too techie...

And I LOOOOOOOOVE memoirs and biographies. Real people. Real experiences. They really are wonderful.

So I am off again reading. I am off to India tonight. :) Night.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I did that a little while ago too! (I SWEAR we are the same person) And I agree with you on the historical fiction. Some fantasy is good too. Tell me what you thought of The Hunger Games!Science fiction is a fine line to walk though.
Haven't read a lot of biographies - mostly prophets. I need me some good suggestions.

Kira said...

One of my students was reading "Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites" at the beginning of the year :) I don't like discussing religion in class or I would've asked her about it. Have you read it?

Belle n Kent said...

Helen Keller's autobiography is EXCELLENT! Read it?
And you mentioning women with gumption reminded me of another book that you've probably read...except I can't remember the name of it...let me call my mother in law...hold, please.

Elizabeth said...

Jane, I loved the Hunger Games, I hated the very ending. It didn't feel done, it didn't feel exactly right. There was a hunk of meat that was missing from it. I hope they fix it in the movies to be honest with you. And I'll have to email you some good suggestions for bios. Start with Carol Burnett's recent memoir. You'll LOVE it. Promise.

Kira, I've listened to it via books on tape, and I don't think we actually finished it. It's alright, not something that I would purchase. Definitely good enough entertainment for a long car ride.

Belle, I have, but it was way back in middle school. I would pretty much only read biographies back then. Yes, I'm a weirdo. :)