Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wall-E...and First Presidency Message...and I Hate Packing...


Went to see the matinée showing of Wall-E yesterday. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. It said a LOT of good things too. Things that I could learn from, for sure, I have so much junk. I try to recycle as much as possible, but I can always do better.

And I probably should get into better shape.

I have to admit, after watching the movie yesterday morning I came home and to entertain myself while putting boxes together, folding laundry, dealing with neighbors...I watched Hello Dolly. :) You will (hopefully) understand why if you watch the film.

So, anyways, go see Wall-E, it's worth it. And I loved the short before it, so DON'T show up late cause you will miss it.

Proud moment: I taught my bestfriends daughter to say Wall-E correctly. :D

None of the trailers really grabbed me. Madagascar MIGHT be good. There is a new cartoon about a mouse with big ears (can we say Dumbo?) that might be really cute, but it doesn't come out for quite a while...

///////////////////////////////////////

First off, here is the link to the First Presidency message this month: LINKAGE

K, so I thought I would do a little of my part to get the conversation going on the Gospel using things like blogs, webpages, etc. like Elder Ballard counseled...so I thought I would do something regular, so here I am commenting on the First Presidency message for the month.

The title of it is "Heeding the Voice of the Prophets". So yes, we believe that we are led by prophets, seers and revelators...the leading authorities of the Church are the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency, which we sustain as prophets, seers and revelators. "God speaks to us through them".

I think it was two years ago President Hinckley in his First Presidency message asked the membership of the Church to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover before the coming of the New Year. What a neat experience that was, it had been a few years since the last time I had actually done that and it rekindled my testimony of Jesus Christ and of that book of scripture. I really do believe that book to be true.

Today we are asked to have gardens, be self sufficient, get out and as much as we are able to stay out of debt, have savings and food/water storage, go to the temple regularly, attend our meetings, be good citizens, neighbors, friends, brothers, sisters, etc along with many other things...and these are all good things to do anyways...

We believe that the words coming from the prophets are the words of God. Deut. 18:18 says "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him." In modern day scripture, we find in Doctrine and Covenants 1:38 it says "whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." The servants in that scripture being the prophets.

We also believe that we personally can talk and receive answers to prayers from our Heavenly Father directly. Heavenly Father does expect us to search out the scriptures and the words of the living prophets as much as we are able to for answers. We can depend on God to give us answers to our prayers if we are unable to find the answer for ourselves.

And that is what I have to say about that! :)

///////////////////////////////////////

I put together a gazillion boxes today to start packing up this house...

...guess how many I have actually packed?

ONE!!! Oh goodness, I hate packing, and I have NO self-motivation...

I go into the laziest state of mind you can even imagine. I am amazed I packed one! Hopefully by the time I go to bed tonight that number will change.

I am putting my books (which is the bulk of what I really own in this house) into the smaller boxes, so I am packing those first. I am putting them into two piles: the I should take to Alabama pile and the I don't need these books in Alabama pile...I am trying to take as little as possible. Mostly music books, but only the ones I think I will need...I of course will take some of my Church books...

I am trying to make sure that everything that I am taking with me to Alabama fits into my car...but I think I may be fighting a losing battle...we shall see.

3 comments:

The Allen Fam said...

I have a garden, and I am trying to be more self suficient, am I doing good?

EmilyLemily said...

I loved Wall-E also!! Ison took me to see it Friday night! And I hope you were able to pack more...I'm already sorting through all my stuff for when I move onto the air force base..

Jane said...

I hear ya about the packing - such a chore, in both senses of the word. I certainly couldn't get everything in this place into a single car...more like a funeral procession worth of cars.
and I love Hello Dolly too!