Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th! and Yesterday

First of all, happy 4th of July. Please take a moment to revel in what freedoms and rights we can enjoy. The right to be happy, the right to be sad, the right to make money, the right to do nothing, the right to compete, the right to stand by and watch...( :) not a comprehensive list, by the way...)

I don't tend to talk a lot about politics at ALL because I hate the debates that occur because of it, I hate debating, I am not good at it...I am not very knowledgeable in many things when it comes to political issues...so I am not a good person to debate with when it comes to these kinds of things anyways...

I do know a few things however. I know that we shouldn't vote blindly for people of one political party or another without knowing something about the person we are voting for. I hope that we each take a little bit of time to research the people that we will be voting for and choose those who we think are good, those who are honest, and those who will assist us in protecting our rights, our families, our religions, our properties, and all else that we hold near and dear.

Also, for those of you who are American, it wouldn't hurt to re-read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution...just to see what we really are celebrating on this Independence Day.

Here is the last paragraph of the Declaration:

"We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

I can't help it, but my heart leaps every time I read this document. Call me a sentimental fool, or call me whatever, but I greatly admire these men who put their names on this declaration...they were not perfect men by any means, but they put their foot forward onto unknown territory to establish a country where the people were not abused to the lengths they previously had been by Great Britain. I really believe God had His hand in developing this country. I mean, how in the WORLD did we win that Revolutionary War???

Side note: I was lucky enough to see the original of Washington crossing the Delaware:

... at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It is huge, by the way...I just think it a magnificent tribute to those who fought in the war and to George Washington himself.

And that is what I have to say about that.

///////////////////////////////////////////

My room is clean. No really, it is! Come over, I will prove it to you. I just have to remake the bed.

How is this possible, you ask??? An angel came over yesterday to assist me in packing up my house, and if any of you have ever seen my room, just imagine it worse than that when she came over...and YES I had already packed 3 boxes just of my books in my room AND did all of my laundry. Well, she decided that I needed help getting my room packed and organized more than I needed help with the rest of the house...

So we worked on my room for...well, a long while. Her kids helped a LOT...shredding paper, grabbing this, getting that...they were so good...

And then we went swimming at one of the coolest pools around at Hamilton High School...it has two decent water slides, a lazy river, a whirlpool, swimming lanes, a water playground with a shorter water slide and all kinds of water spraying out of it, diving boards, and lifeguards everywhere! We had SOOO much fun. And NO sunburn! Woot!

And to end the day, we had pizza (my treat), wings and poppers...a good day, I have to say. My roommate is still in shock with my room. She used to look into it to make herself feel better about hers... :)

3 comments:

Big Tom the Great and Magnificent said...

I love politics and discussions about politics. I love the constitution, however I am afraid that many of our civil liberties have benn taken away very subtly over the past 100 years, probably from the times of President Jackson. I appreciate your posting and hope that americans wake the "F" up and realize what they may soon no longer have. God bless the USA! Also, there are definately "angels" among us.

EmilyLemily said...

Wow...your room? Clean? Take pictures for me!!! This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! ;) I love you!

Jane said...

Yay for the clean room! Nothing like that feeling...
As for politic discussions I hate how people aren't logical - especially the media - when it comes to issues.
But that's a whole post in itself.