Sunday, May 24, 2009

Crooked Fingers...curly

Homework assignment:

What really caused my crooked fingers?

Right Hand palm down


Left Hand palm down


Left Hand from the side


Right Hand from the side
(the left hand middle finger and the right hand ring finger do not lay flat at all...and I can't get any of my fingers to lay flat all at once...either one joint or the other is crooked)

From what I have read so far online, I have boutonniere deformity...in nearly ALL of my fingers. The causes of this deformity (ha, this is the first time I have referred to my crooked fingers as a deformity and not joking about it) are by injury or by rheumatoid arthritis.

I believe neither is the case.

IF I had rheumatoid arthritis, I think I would've noticed by now.
My parents love me. They did not beat my hands to a pulp when I was a little girl. In fact, I hardly ever was spanked. Nobody else injured me. Yes, I was a klutz, but the first time I had a finger in a splint was in junior high and it was one of my pinky fingers, not the extremely crooked middle fingers. And I vividly remember the first time one of my classmates screamed in horror because of my fingers...I was very young at the time...:)

My aunt and my Mom both have crooked fingers as well...mine are just MUCH more obvious.

Is it genetic? There has GOT to be a better explanation than rheumatoid arthritis...

One of these days when I am rich I will see a hand surgeon about them...they are getting worse with age, unfortunately...it used to be just the left middle finger wouldn't go flat, but other fingers are stiffening...yes, old woman that I am...I still don't believe it is arthritis...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

One of the young women in the stake went to town on my hair last week...I LOVED it...

5 comments:

Jane said...

I have twisted fingers - the index fingers on both hands twist towards the middle finger - FAR more severe than my grandfather's were. I think it's genetic and you're just more talented in that department than the others.

arthritisreliefhelp said...

You are talented. Sky is the limit for you.Go ahead and win the world !

EmilyLemily said...

Maybe one of my future kids will get the crooked fingers...then they would be cool like their Aunt Elizabeth! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have the same exact problem, did you ever find a clear reason behind it?

Anonymous said...

is it common for boys to have crocked fingers as well?