Saturday, May 2, 2009

Chef Elizabeth

Monday I felt like making a real home cooked meal. So I dinked around on the internet and found a couple of yummy recipes on foodnetwork.com...

Tuesday I went shopping for the ingredients, and Friday I cooked...

I made Rachel Ray's Love Birds - Chicken in Pastry and Alton Brown's Rice Pilaf.

The most trying of the two recipes was the Chicken...I have never used pastry sheets before, and the sheets I ended up with weren't the 11*17 ones the recipe calls for...I think next time I make this recipe, I am just going to get 2 boxes of pastry sheets, because wrapping those little strips around the pieces of chicken was a terrible experience, AND all the cheese ended up leaking out anyways...they couldn't even tell there was cheese in it, and it was expensive cheese! :/ I think I am also going to tear up the chicken before putting it into the pastry for more ease in eating...BUT it tasted good. I think they should be called Love Bird Hotpockets instead...

I altered the Pilaf a bit, couldn't find Saffron at the store AND it's pretty expensive anyways...so I left it out. AND I didn't put the rice into the oven after having it on the stove...and yet it turned out sooooo good. Alton Brown gives hilarious instructions...instead of 'cook the rice for 3 minutes with the onions and peppers' it says 'cook the rice until it smells nutty'. :) Love it... It's a sweet pilaf with lots of different flavors. I left the pistachios out. That was a personal decision, I don't like em...and they were just a garnish anyways...

I had Rachel, April and Nichee over for dinner...and they all said it was really good. Nope, no pictures...the chicken definitely didn't look like what the picture on the website does...and I didn't take any pictures anyways...it was good to cook a full meal, I enjoyed it. AND I have leftovers, yay!!

1 comment:

Jane said...

It's true, saffron is WAY expensive and it doesn't last for very long. It's quite a particular spice. (I but it only for risotto and only enough for one meal.) BUT it sounds like a great party.