Sunday, April 26, 2009

Apostle and Seventies...

Phew...what a weekend...


Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to Birmingham. He was doing a special stake meeting for the Birmingham Stake Sunday. It wasn't a stake conference, just a stake meeting...only 1 1/2 hours long.

Usually there is an adult session the night before a stake conference. Instead he, along with a couple of Seventies, did a fireside for the YSA and a fireside for the youth. Elder Cornish (an area Seventy) did the YSA fireside along with Elder Perry, while Elder Hamula did the youth fireside.

IT WAS AWESOME...I got to shake his hand and talk with him a bit. I told him that when I was a youth I shook hands with him in the Salt Lake Temple (it was a Thursday afternoon, they just got out of their meeting). He told me that President Monson likes to stop and talk with the youth as they are going into the Baptistry, and that everyone waits for him to finish before they move over to the church office building. That sounds like President Monson...:)

I am not in the Birmingham Stake, I am in the Bessemer Stake, so I didn't see Elder Perry the next day. Elder Hamula did a similar stake meeting for the Bessemer Stake. I shook hands with him as well. Both he and Elder Perry when they shook hands with me noted that I had a great smile. :) I appreciated that! He gave an excellent talk...it was long, but I thought it was wonderful. He taught what a Seventy was, where it came from. He said some interesting things...I think I am going to use them for my personal scripture study this week.

One of the cool things about these two was that they are both EXTREMELY tall...it was lovely to feel short for a minute. I miss that a lot...

It was a great weekend. Rachel and I stayed with Amber in Birmingham, the sister missionaries came over this afternoon to her place for dinner, and then we went for a walk in this really beautiful neighborhood and around these cool moss-covered rocks...really cool, I am totally going back.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Quite a lot of GA activity in your life lately yeah? That's got to be pretty cool.

Daisy Valle said...

Awesome! I've still never shook hands with an Apostle, only a couple General Authorities...