Friday, February 13, 2009

Uninspired...A Friendly Reminder...

Sorry about the lack of blog entries lately, I just haven't been all that inspired...

//////////////////////////////////////////

Dear Menfolk of the world who actually read my blog,

There is this lovely holiday coming up tomorrow that you may think is really stupid and the lovely lady by your side may say is really stupid, but it really is a serious matter. Yes, it is over advertised and yes even when I have been in a relationship in the past I got sick of all the pink and red and hearts and oversized bears and such that were in EVERY SINGLE STORE.

Seriously though, don't forget that it is Valentine's Day. A male colleague of mine (married, children) made the argument that every day should be like it were Valentine's Day...it's a lovely idea, but from what little experience I have, it's hard to make that come to pass. Anyways, here is my reasoning of why you should remember this holiday tomorrow:

You once were single and alone. She once was single and alone. And that, my friends, is not fun. And when this time of year comes around and you are without anyone, you avoid going out shopping because you are so overwhelmingly reminded that you are single and alone.

Even if you have had someone special on every single Valentine's Day, you HAVE felt what it's like to be alone. And there are times when things don't go so well in any relationship. So there was a time in both of your lives when everyday was NOT Valentine's day.

Now, there are a select few of you who may make the argument, and I suppose that this could be true, that you have never gone through rough times with your loved one...

So think of this day as Thanksgiving...except you are thankful that you have someone to spend it with.

I am not writing this as a bitter diatribe because of the fact that I am six and twenty and still single, or to make all of you feel sorry for me (PLEASE don't, I am a big girl and can handle it)...

AND I am not writing this because I think all men are losers (they aren't) and they all forget about things like birthdays, anniversarys and Valentine's Day, because I know many of you are fabulous about remembering those kinds of things...

AND this isn't just for the menfolk actually, cause all of us lovely females could also use this reminder...

I am writing this because I have a great love for my friends and my family, and I want you all to realize and remember how blessed and lucky you are to have someone there when you wake up in the morning. You have someone to argue with all the time. You have someone who you fell in love with...and they fell in love with you...and they have stuck it out with you.

So, consider this your reminder to do something a little out of the ordinary for your sweetheart, and show her that she really is important to you. It can be as simple as just one single rose. (NOT a carnation, unless that happens to be her favorite flower...) It can be as simple as getting a couple of candles and eating by the light of them. It can be as simple as pulling out her favorite romantical song, bringing it up on your itunes, or even just making an attempt at humming it and dancing with her in the middle of your living room.

Just do something. She will appreciate it.

1 comment:

Janel said...

You are so right, we do need to appreciate those who we have in our lives to love and love us back, because some people don't even have one person in this world to care whether they live or die, and for those I have I am truly grateful. One thing that has helped me be more appreciative of Mark (because after 15 v-days, well, it gets a little predictable) is he is working both nights this weekend in what could possibly be a extra dangerous situation, and I have a slight extra degree of worry-and no date to the ward dance :( So tomorrow I will spend working and tomorrow night I will spend with Dianne and my kids and I will be grateful!! We miss you!!