Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Better...and Good...Inauguration

K, that background was horrible, and I admit it. This one is much much better. And actually it didn't take me long to change color schemes...I have discovered this lovely thing called 'color hex codes' where you can actually change the color scheme using html...pretty dang sweet if you ask me...

////////////////////////////////////////

I like it when I go to a doctor with a sincere concern and what I thought was a problem was actually a good sign...and when the scale at the other dr's office says the same thing or less than the scale at the doctors office where I work...:)...and I like nice doctors. I am all kinds of healthy, I am happy to report.

///////////////////////////////////////

I watched the quartet play and then the Chief Justice and President Obama stumble over their lines...the quartet was BEAUTIFUL. LOVED it. The piece is called 'Air and Simple Gifts' and is composed by...oh guess...clue, he is a living composer who you actually have heard of...clue, he wrote the Olympic Theme...clue, he wrote the score to a LOT of movies...yeah, John Williams...I admit, I really liked it and I want to listen to it again. I thinks it's funny, someone was saying that the proper tribute to that piece should be given to Aaron Copland...sorry dude, he didn't write the song tune 'Simple Gifts', it's just his version of the song tune most people know. And actually, a lot of composers deem it a compliment when you mimic a style or theme or motive or what-not in your composition. You would be amazed to discover how many pieces there are that quote the famous motive from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony...

Anyways...I hung up on a patient to watch it...I could hear it playing in the background on the other side of the line, and my coworker is yelling 'Elizabeth, get over here, your man is on' (my man meaning Yo-Yo Ma, I have been talking him up since last week) and I couldn't take it anymore and I said 'I am sorry, I am going to have to call you back' and without waiting for an answer hung up and explained to Jason that I was going to be on a 5 minute break...

Pretty cool. The quartet was far more beautiful than that band was, they (the band) were having some tuning issues...

I watched Clinton and Bush get sworn in, and I am glad I watched Obama. I dare say I will watch all the presidents get sworn in if I can. I think it's important. The nurses were calling their kids who were sick at home to turn off the cartoons and watch the inauguration, threatening to be there in a minute...yeah, a lot of the nurses had sick kids today, weird...

I was pretty proud of myself today...a coworker was asking trivia about inaugurations and she asked 'who had the shortest inauguration speech'. It was George Washington. :) I am a big fan of him...

1 comment:

EmilyLemily said...

I loved the quartet too!!! I had to watch it at home because at work it kept cutting out. I just loved Yo-Yo Ma's face! He was so happy, like a little kid!