Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Miracle of the Day

Remember last...oh, October, I said I got reading glasses...hmm...how about I pull up a picture of me wearing them:


(me in October)

Pretty cute, huh? Okay, so I was giving a ride to a girl in my ward who is in a wheelchair and another girl, and it was taking me a while to fold up the chair, put it into the car, etc., so I was a little exasperated by the time I got over to my car door to get it...lo and behold, it was locked...because my snazzy new car only opens by key entry, NOT by nifty-difty remote-control-clicker-thing-a-ma-giggers. So I have to go digging through what I lovingly call the bottomless pit:


...for my car keys...pull out some stuff, wallet, glasses, phone, finally find the key to the car. I get into said car and start driving down the road when...

"BOMP, BOMP, Pheww!!!"

I conveniently left something (wasn't sure what) out on the front of my car when I went looking through my purse. Whatever it was (just in case you don't know what "BOMP BOMP Pheww means) fell off of my car and onto the road. I pull the next parking lot and discover my reading glasses and the case were not in my purse. "Yeah, it didn't sound like my wallet, it was too hollow" said slightly frantic heroine of our story (NO, I am not rich, my wallet is full of moneyless cards like Safeway card, Sam's Club, Costco, United Blood Services, you know, normal cards...oh, and pennies).

Our Heroine left the car lights on and the car running while she went running back to the point where the glasses fell, and there it was, her glasses case on the side of the road!!!


"Oh good" she thought when she picked up the case, which looked slightly smooshed...but not from a car running over it. But when she opened the case:


"OH NO!!!" she said, quite loudly to the nothingness that was listening to her (btw, the nothingness was quite amused by the unexpected drama that was playing out on this 88 degree Fahrenheit, clear as a bell, already dark evening). She looked and looked, they were no where around where the case had laid to rest...she look farther and farther away. And then, out of the corner of her eye she spotted them!


...in the middle lane of the southbound traffic, just about 5 inches from the stripe. Our Heroine watched as car after car after car went running swiftly by. "No, no don't, MOVE away, no you are NOT going to change lanes!, Please don't let them be destroyed, please!". She couldn't tell for sure, but they actually looked okay from where she was standing, a lane, a stripe and five inches from the reading glasses...

Finally an opening!!! She would have to run for it, and like a professional basketball player running his drills, she ran, touched (in this case grabbed the glasses) and ran back.

A huge smile planted on her face, she began to inspect the glasses as she made her short trip back to the still running with lights on car (incidentally, the AC was also on, which if she had been driving by herself would be turned off to save gas). 'They look fine...could they really be fine?...it doesn't look like anyone ran over them, can you believe that? Not even a scratch on the lenses!!! How lucky they landed lenses up when they were forced from the case!'

Our Heroine got back into the car and proudly showed off her glasses and relayed the story of their rescue. She returned the glassed to their case:

And they all lived happily ever after.

THE END

3 comments:

Janel said...

That is cute. I' glad your glasses were ok, how wierd!!!

Your veggies look amazing!! Way to go!!

Ashley said...

Nice Elizabeth. Very entertaining. Glad they were okay.

Debbie said...

haha.. great story! Well, not the actual event itself because I know that was not fun for you, but your recreation of the event was very well written ;-) It's no fun to lose/break things (especially expensive things!), so I'm glad your glasses miraculously turned out fine!