Wednesday, November 7, 2007

ode to friends

"Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."
- Ludwig van Beethoven


Two of my best friends called me tonight, and we really talked. It wasn't one of those quick conversations that get interrupted by normal proceedings of life.

One friend called me. She asked me some questions about music theory to make sure she was right(just like old times). She talked about her life. And then she asked the key question: How are you doing? And she pushed it. You know what, I answered truthfully, and she really listened. That is a mark of a good friend. Near the end of this conversation, my other friend called. I called her back, and we talked as well. And I listened to her, and she to me.

I NEEDED THAT TONIGHT. Talking makes a HUGE difference. That is why counselors are really good to have. Just to talk to. No matter what profession, what calling, what situation, everyone needs someone to report to who is either experienced in your situation or is in tune with the Spirit (preferably both). We become better when we are called to repentance and truly listen to and heed counsel. We are better when we know that someone else knows, is listening, and wants better for you and is cheering you on.

That is why prayer is so important.

All through grade school I didn't have one truly good/best friend. Maybe once in Lompoc, CA. But really, I didn't have someone I could just talk with, hang out with, you know...just be buddies with. Never had a best friend. I realize now I must have been REALLY retarded in high school.

I prayed. I asked for a friend. I asked for just one really good friend ever since I realized I really didn't have any. I asked to help me to be a good friend. I tried to be a good friend to others, and I think towards the end of high school I made a tiny bit of progress...but still, no friend.

Then I moved to Arizona. Still, no best friend. Freshman year of college, I kinda knew a few people, could call some of them, went to some things. Got invited to a party, that was cool.

Sophomore year is the magical year. I didn't just get one. I got three. THREE! I was truly blessed. The two that called me tonight are among those three. Thanks to them, you have what you know as me. Seriously, they worked a number on me. Introvert became Extrovert. Fashion deficient went to...well, I would dress REALLY well if I had more money, but I do all right. No make-up went to being a self proclaimed make-up artist (see Halloween picture). Self-conscious went to...I mean, I kissed a guy that I am not dating the other night...self-conscious? Whatever! :) I learned so much from them, and still am. They never cease to amaze me with their insight, their amazing powers, their abilities, etc. I am the musician, the woman, the latter-day saint I am today partially because of these women. One of my most common repeated phrases in my prayers is "Thank thee SOOOOOOO much for my friends." I am sincere EVERY SINGLE TIME. What I would do without them...I don't know.

Thank you, my friends.

1 comment:

The Allen Fam said...

Thank you! Just reading this made me cry and reminds me of how great a friend you are to me and will always be for me. I really hope you can come out here soon to visit and we can just have fun. I love you and miss you TONS!!!

B.