Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Intimidating and traveling



Today at work I discovered that I am intimidating. Why? Because:

(Drum roll please).....................................................

I nearly have a master's degree in Music Theory.

Yes, this is why I am intimidating.

Yes, I, Elizabeth, am intimidating.

I would have expected because I am seriously a giant when it comes to females (I am all of 6' baby).

The guy at work who said I was intimidating is a member of my Church, is even taller than me (he's married, so no! Becky) and is an electric guitarist. When he found out I was a classical musician, and that I nearly have a Master's degree in Music, I guess he about died right there. You see, I agreed to perform at the company Christmas party as part of a group. (Reva, where can I get a good electric hookup for my cello??) We are NOT doing classical music, it's all country and, well, Barry Manilow, Queen, kinda random songs actually. Not Christmas songs. It's really a New Year's party and they just don't know it. :) It's to celebrate all the wonderful things the company has done. Anyways, I am intimidated by the repertoire, cause I really haven't done much of anything outside of classical and sacred music when it comes to my cello. And there won't be any written music. I am rather dependent on the "written word" so to speak, so this may get interesting...

Update on sickness: I feel better, although I got progressively worse at work. Not bad enough to go home. I don't think I have a fever anymore. Ears are plugged up, and I am just praying that that will change by tomorrow night.

You see, I am going home for Thanksgiving for the first time in 4 years. Last year I was with Amber



for Thanksgiving, and the year before that I was with ex-boyfriend Mark



for Thanksgiving (I originally was going to post this AWFUL picture of him, but I decided to be kind...most of the pictures I have of him somehow were misplaced in the recycle bin...but I found three more, I suppose I will keep them) and the year before that with Lindsey (unable to locate digital picture of her, will add picture ASAP)

Unfortunately, I am stuck in Arizona for Christmas. I would rather have it the other way around. But, rules are rules, and although I am the first in line to have the Eve of Christmas off, they won't let another person go. The only way I could get the day off is if someone on my team that already has the day off changes their mind...fat chance of that happening.

I am not really stuck though. I have lots of family here, so it won't be horrible. AND my family will be coming over for New Year's just a few days later. Too bad they can't spend Christmas here. That would be awesome.

Anyways, I will have 5 (really, 4 1/2) glorious days away from work and with the fam. Who hoo.

2 comments:

EmilyLemily said...

Yay! My you are finally coming home for Thanksgiving...boo to no you for Christmas, though. See you REALLY late tonight at the airport!!!!!!

reva said...

Oooh, sorry but I don't don't much about cello pickups. I know Fishman pickups are generally considered the standard... what do you need it for?? That's pretty dang cool! And of course you are intimidating - tall, gorgeous, intelligent and educated? Guys being intimidated is a good thing. It weeds out the weak guys that aren't worth your time anyway:)