Friday, February 5, 2010

Digital Church...

Opened the email this morning, and I see an email from someone I don't know with a title that looks slightly similar to some spam that I have been receiving lately...I am about to click on the Spam button, when I actually focus in on the title...'VT Changes'. I think, what's the chance that VT actually stands for 'visiting teaching'? So, hoping for the best, I open it...and lo and behold, it's my new visiting teaching assignment! They EMAILED it to me...that's a first! I think it's awesome, cause I am in my email a LOT...

Last week I had to do some training for the young women leaders in my stake, and I mentioned that everything I printed out and trained them on was available on the Church websites. In fact, they were all on the Young Women website. I showed them that the Church has a number of websites, including a page on facebook (nope, still not on there, but I was able to look it up), youtube, and a new youth website with albums and videos available for download. I thought it would be good for them to know, since ALL of their youth are bound to be extremely computer savvy peoples...

One of the ladies kinda shocked me when she said that we needed to not expect that all the leaders have access to the internet. I know I am young and computer savvy, so it was a good reminder to me that not everyone does have access (which is why all youth leaders should have a subscription to the New Era!). But I tell you what, it makes my calling so much easier since I have a good email contact with every YW presidency in the stake. We save a LOT of money on postage by sending out emails with attachments. One of these days, I am sure the Church will set up a way that we can put any fliers and such onto a website so that the leaders and parents can just pull them off the website. That will probably be a ways down the road, but still!

I was amazed at the new youth website...did you know that there is a 'response' option (as opposed to a 'comments' option) on some of the items on there? But to make a response, you have to sign into the church website (same way for lds.org to get into your respective ward and stake website)...AND, as I discovered, you have to be 12-18 years old, because it wouldn't allow me to make a response (I wasn't going to, I was just seeing if I could). I thought that was really cool...

Boy, the Church sure is growing with the times...I mean, I get text messages when the First presidency makes any public statement, announces a new temple, or any important news flash. Really cool stuff, in my book!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Got to balance all the nasty stuff out there on the dear old Internets.