Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Happy Hanukkah! and books and work

Well, Hanukkah just began here. Did you know that it doesn't officially start until the sun goes down? Happy Hanukkah to all my Jewish readers!

History lesson: Hanukkah started around 160 BC when the Jews had reclaimed the temple in Jerusalem. They cleared out all the idols that had been in there. After cleaning everything out, all they could find to light the temple was a small container of oil. Miraculously, the oil last 8 days. Thus began the celebration of Hanukkah.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

A friend asked me to suggest some good "light and funny" (as he said) audio books that he could listen to on his trip up to Utah. I drew a blank. The only light and funny books I could think of were rather girly too. I then ran across a Roald Dahl book called "Danny the Champion of the World". I started this book just before I moved here, and I have yet to finish it, but I remember being highly entertained by what I had read. For those who don't know, Roald Dahl wrote classics like James and the Giant Peach, Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and the Glass Elevator). This is the 'other' book, one that isn't as well known, but it is quite as good as the others.

Any suggestions from the crowd for 'light and funny' books? I tend to go heavy and kinda dark with some funny in it. :) Believe it or not. I do enjoy light books, but I finish them too quickly.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

They want me to sing at the Christmas luncheon at work. What the heck am I supposed to sing? It needs to be light, not overly religious, and it doesn't really need to be Christmasy. But I don't know what to sing, and it is stressing me out. GAH!!!

No comments: