Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Good news, good news and good news

Okay, so of course the real good news is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

But...I have other pieces of news that I would like to share.

First:




This is a picture of old town Albuquerque at Christmas time. I don't think there is a better place to go than old town Albuquerque Christmas Eve. It is so beautiful, the luminarias glowing, the people enjoying each other's company, the caroling, the HUGE Christmas tree that is impeccably decorated.

Well, I was the first one on the waiting list to get Christmas Eve off. NO one is going to give up their Christmas Eve off that already had it off, and it isn't worth flying home Christmas Eve night and flying back Christmas day. I was the second one on the waiting list for the 26th of December.

I was bummed. In fact, I was REALLY sad and depressed yesterday. I actually cried. This would have been the first time I had not been home with my family for Christmas EVER. I am single, I am 25, I am NOT ready for that yet. Even though I have lots of wonderful and loving family around here, a great ward, lots of friends, I was not ready for that. I LOVE waking up at midnight to see what Santa brought me. I LOVE going to Old Town, getting hot chocolate, freezing to death, walking around the shops (window shopping) and then buying a bunch of freshly made tamales, taking them home and eating them (helps to thaw out) and driving around to see all the luminaria displays.

Most importantly, I love my family. I miss them. And even though I was home for Thanksgiving for the first time in 4 years, I still want to see them again. Even though I would see them just a few days AFTER Christmas for the New Year's gathering, I just know that Christmas wouldn't be the same.

So we get an email at work today which says the following:

We have decided to offer an option of working either the Saturday or Monday before the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Therefore, you can elect to work Saturday, December 22 in lieu of December 24. You can also elect to work Saturday, December 29 in lieu of December 31.

I am flying home Saturday evening and flying back Christmas day. :) YAY!!!!!

The other good news is:





I auditioned about a month ago for the Mesa Easter Pageant which occurs every year. I decided to go for an angel part, which required an extra audition (you have to dance as an angel). I got a callback (first callback EVER!!!), did another audition and...I am going to be an angel!!! SO excited. I can't believe it. I mean, I took ballet when I was, what 5 years old. Maybe a little older. Besides a few workshops and the Church dances that I have attended over the last 11 years (bless the wonderful black young man in my stake in Albuquerque when I was in youth for teaching me how to dance) I really am not much of a dancer. I do, however, have a fairly good sense of rhythm and can be graceful (emphasis on can). Twice as many girls auditioned than they could take, so I must have made a good impression. I blew away the panel when they did the vocal audition (I can hit all of the high notes easily...they never have had that before). Hmm...perhaps I should go into show business...:)

////////////////////////////////////////////////

I trimmed the tree in front of my front door. It has been driving me nuts. I need a chainsaw to finish the job. The thing is lopsided, and it just looks horrible. At least you can see underneath it now. I also trimmed up the bouganvilla and I pulled a lot of the weeds that were overcoming the poor rosebushes out in front. I am afraid I may have killed them. I haven't really watered them regularly, but roses are resilient and this is the time of year to cut them back anyways.

Next are the two citrus trees up front. They need a bit of pruning. The fruit on one is starting to turn orange. Some actually are deep orange. I think I am going to pick one as I drive off in the morning and see how it is. I hope it is good. I need to fertilize them I think. :) A trip to the nursery is in order I do believe. I need to cut back the roses as well, whether they are dead or alive. I did a pretty deep watering tonight, and it is supposed to rain again this weekend so if they are alive that will give them a bit of juice.

That's all. Good night. Nursing a splitting headache at the moment, so I really hope I wake up without it.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Congratulations on ALL!