Wednesday, October 17, 2007

GAH!!!

I give up. Will someone PLEASE explain to me why once it looks like the video has uploaded, it won't finish? Is it supposed to take FOREVER on here? It is the right format for wiki. Gah!

I have had the busiest but rather rewarding day. Got to work, did a lot of work, went on a lunch date, details below, did more work, left work to go to institute while juggling phone and food cause both were demanding my attention, got to institute and tutored this lady on how to write a canon in the style of Bartok and got paid $60 for it!!!! YAY!!! I like this, I need more students! Finished at 8:00pm (pacific) and drove home. BUSY! I say!

Date: we split the check. He's off the list. But he did open the door every single time. That was good. He's an old friend (Paul, he says Hi Becky). Barely my height. But it was CPK, and I haven't eaten there in a LONG time, so it was lovely just for that. And it was nice to take a long lunch.

Tutoring: Loved every moment of it, and the most rewarding part was she left saying "I didn't know writing like Bartok could be fun!" Man, it was worth it just for that. And I got paid $30 an hour. I was floored!

AND she is like the most wonderful hook up. She may be able to:

  • get me a position teaching music theory in the public schools
  • get me a roommate
  • get me more private students
Like, seriously. This is awesome! I love it. I am so blessed and am so grateful.

Oh, and it's my half birthday. :) yep, 25 1/2. Old woman, I know. JK!

4 comments:

Thanaglim said...

what's bartok?

Elizabeth said...

Bela Bartok is a Hungarian composer, (b 1881, d 1945). Used folk music a great deal in his music, but also incorporated a lot of the new styles of composition in his day, including atonality (lack of a tonal center, such as 'do' in 'do, re, mi'). Very much like Stravinsky, except not Russian and didn't totally write in the neoclassical or serialistic styles like Stravinsky did at the end of his life.

Janel said...

Wow you sound like a music genius!!! No wonder you get paid the big bucks!! :D I'm very inpressed becuase I know you just spouted off that info off the top of your head!

Elizabeth said...

Well, what can I say? :) Actually, it helps that I just went over it over the last week. Ask me a week ago, the dates wouldn't be there, and I probably wouldn't have said anything comparing Bartok to Stravinsky, although...maybe I would've. I am kinda comparing everyone to Stravinsky. :)