Sunday, October 21, 2007

Cellist+Mormon+Arizona=

Did you know that if you are a cellist, you play in stake conference once and you are friendly, the word gets out like a wildfire in Southern California with the Santa Ana's blowing, and you get booked for every weekend. I am going to have to start saying no soon I think. AND when you go home for vacation to take a break from the wacky world you get the opportunity to perform there as well. I am seriously getting rather booked here. I was blessed with these talents though, and I need to use them to serve the Lord, to give back, ya know. Plus, who knows, I may get some students out of all of this. AND it's an opportunity to play, and I LOVE playing.

I am actually using the scheduler on my phone so that I can remember what I am supposed to do the next day. I might actually pull out the freaking nice PDA that I have that I rarely use and start using it. :)

I just figured out where this really cute, tall, slightly red-headed guy goes to Church, and guess what!? He goes to the singles ward that I am in the boundaries for and used to be a member of. Hmmm...do I REALLY want to give up teaching Sunbeams??? I love my Sunbeams. I will stay til the end of the year at least, but that is real incentive to move my records right there. Seriously, this guy is quite good looking.

Speaking of Sunbeams, they are doing opening exercises next week in Church! I am so excited! They will do so well. I think I will actually bring a treat for them to take home and eat AFTER Church in addition to the lesson. Next weeks lesson is on how to be a good example. I am cutting out footprints for them to follow. :)

6 comments:

Penny said...

i say get a sub for 1 week, go sweep him off his feet, then bring him to your ward! :D

Susan said...

I'm LDS and a cellist too. I'd be interested to know what you play for church. I've been looking around for music.

Elizabeth said...

I write my own arrangements of hymns. I have been thinking about publishing some of the arrangements I have written. If you give me your email we can talk more about it if you like! :)

Kimberly said...

I would love to see some of your arrangements. Do you do cello solo work or duets and quartets too?

Suzette said...

Hi, I'm from Ohio and my ward wants me to play my cello at Standards Night for the stake. I'm looking for a cello duet arrangement of a hymn, but I haven't been able to find anything. The other cellist is a nonmember, but he's interested in the church and I think this could help him gain a testimony! Please, if you know anywhere I could look, that would be much appreciated!

Elizabeth said...

If you know how to read treble clef, the easiest thing to do would be to a) copy the Soprano and Alto lines into bass clef and switch who does what or b) get a violin/cello or better a violin duet or even a vocal duet of whatever hymn you are wanting to use and rewrite it for bass clef...if you do the vocal duet, you will need a pianist...you may be able to find a tenor/bass duet that would work well actually, you just will need a pianist...

I write my own arrangements, and I usually do option a) (above)...if I have time, which I usually don't, I add upon what is already there...