Monday, June 14, 2010

Shall I, Shall I Not...

My sister called me today and invited me to dinner Friday...and to set me up on a blind date. I haven't said yes to the invitation yet.

I really hate blind dates. I mean really really hate them. It doesn't matter whether the guy is all right or not. 15 minutes into it I can't wait to be home, and when I get home every time I have sworn that I will never go on another blind date again. I haven't been on one in a LONG time...I think the last one was when I was doing my undergrad...I don't know who set me up, but we went to a Diamondbacks game, and poor guy, I was more interested in the game and the other couple than him...and it was SOOOO awkward. Probably my fault...I become an idiot around any guy in that kind of a situation. Ask any former date...or any guy I have ever liked...

The guy sounds decent enough. Tall, funny, good enough that my sister thinks to set me up with him, which I hope means he meets my high standards, but still...I would rather be invited to a party this guy was also invited to it and meet there. If we hit it off, great. If not, there are other people there, I won't leave the party feeling awful, and neither of us will be any worse for the wear.

I think I am going to stick with my guns and say no. I hate to hurt her feelings, but seriously...how many people actually hit it off on a blind date? Besides, Friday night there is a YSA dance. I don't remember the last time I actually attended one...

5 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I know it's hard - but it does work out sometimes. I just had a feeling one day (inspiration I'm pretty darn sure) - so I set up a girl I had actually just met - but ended up being my best friend later - with my husband's best friend on a blind date. 6 months later they were married. 7 years and 3 kids later they are still going strong. Maybe Emily could get him to go to the dance too...? Just a thought. Anyway, just listen for inspiration and you'll know what to do. That's just my two bits.

Jane said...

Is it a blind date with just you two, four or more people because I agree it's way hard if you don't hit it off and there's no one else to talk to.
Good luck.

mcamp said...

don't treat it like a blind date and don't turn into a tard and I think you'll be fine :0)

Rocketgirl said...

Understandable. Someone needs to give him your blig url so he can discover how awesome you are and then he can ask you out himself! We kinda did that with my bro and his fiancee and that worked out...

Nilla said...

Okay so I've only been on one blind date, but it turned out about the same -- I conversed more with the other couple. But even them I didn't really know. They are a couple at church who decided they wanted to do a double date and all his friends are single, so they found a single girl from the ward (me) and invited me. And so I went. Definitely not a creation of sparks or anything. But I did it. And sometimes putting myself out there in uncomfortable situations is half the battle. But I totally understand and hope that you decide and that either way it works out for you :).