Sunday, June 14, 2009

Things I Learned At/From Girls Camp

1. I can survive on 3 hours sleep every night for a whole week
2. I can sleep in the back of my car with a little extra padding
3. My car can handle a little off-roading
4. Teenage girls will love you forever if you give them candy, glowsticks, water balloons and whoopee cushions.
5. All girls must wear braids at girls camp, no matter how long or short your hair is.
6. There are a lot of versions of the camp songs I knew from when I was at girls camp.
7. There are advantages to tents that cabins w/o AC don't come close to.
8. The stake leaders, even though they get the rooms with the AC, stay up just as late if not later than the rest of the girls talking and laughing very loudly.
9. How wonderful my GPS is.
10. It is useful to have a Walmart nearby the camp.
11. My bed is the most comfortable bed on the planet (at least, for the last 1 1/2 days it has been...)
12. There is a Girls Camp smell...which I can't describe. You have to experience it to know it.
13. How inspired Sister Ripley was to call her two counselors to this presidency...we all have very different talents, and they all come together quite brilliantly.
14. Next year, they need to emphasize that the girls need to wear long pants on the hikes (lots of girls got poison oak on the hikes).

There are a number of other things I learned, but these are what came to mind...I survived. 9 mosquito bites, barely anything of a sunburn, feet that were throbbing from standing/walking ALL DAY LONG. Saturday morning most of the muscles in my legs seized up on me at least once. Thankfully, the girls and their leaders cleaned up the camp pretty well, so we were able to leave by 9:00am Saturday morning! There were a lot of small miracles that occurred during the week, including the weather and how flexible the other stake was with the schedule and more importantly the kitchen. It worked out quite well!

Got about 13 hours of sleep yesterday, and already had a 3 1/2 hour nap today...getting caught up. I feel much better today though. Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up refreshed...I have a weeks worth of work waiting oh so patiently for me at the office...oh the joy! :)

Cheers!

2 comments:

Marla said...

Sounds like being an EFY counselor, except we get to stay in somewhat decent housing, our longest hike is from the dorms to the main ballroom at BYU...and by the way...did you steal the kayaks in the middle of the night while everyone was sleeping and use the moon as your guiding light on the lake? If not, give it a whirl next year...I hear it's kinda fun!

Jane said...

SUPER impressed with you. I would much prefer to go camping with the Scouts than with a bunch of teenage girls. You have my deepest admiration.