Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Google...

Um...yeah, so all of you probably went to Google today at some point, right?

Well, if you noticed, the usual Google logo wasn't there...and in its place was this:


...in commemoration of Igor Stravinsky's 127th birthday...which is today.

Igor Stravinsky is the composer of the piece of music I am writing my thesis on.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly SHOCKED when I opened up my browser at work today and this popped up.

Why the caterpillar? Well, I am not sure about that, to be honest with you...but the bird is obvious (Firebird)...the rock and flowers could also be from 'Firebird' or perhaps Les Noces...or even Le Sacre du Printemps for those who have no idea what the ballet is really about...or a few others...still working on the caterpillar...

Ha...after writing and publishing this, I did another search to see if someone had analyzed the Doodle and found the Doodler himself explained it HERE...the man needs to be a little more thorough in his artistic research...Le Sacre du Printemps, or rather, 'The Rite of Spring' is about the ritual dance of a young woman who dances herself to death before the commencement of Spring...pretty flowers and a caterpillar hardly come close to even touching that...at least 'Firebird' wasn't totally misinterpreted, although it is not quite right either...

4 comments:

Jane said...

So which piece is your thesis on? And I think the caterpiller is more metaphorical, representing development or metamorphosis...or because the Google guys thought the rock needed something else. :)

Elizabeth said...

'Later' as in he wrote it later in his life...not 'later' as in late in his serial period...

Elizabeth said...

Abraham and Isaac, one of his later serial pieces...

The Allen Fam said...

You should totally use the google image as your thesis cover. It is awesome. And yes the pix of the strings was just for you I saw them and said to Cati, "My best friend would love to see these." So I snapped away.