Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Visit, Uncle Calvin and Prince Caspian

My sister and my soon to be brother in law came to visit for the weekend...ok, the REAL reason they came through was for Emily to meet her future mother-in-law as she is in Tucson for a short time (his family is from the Seattle, Washington area, so Tucson is MUCH closer than Washington)...anyways, they decided to also visit the valley on this trip to spend some time with me and with some of our extended family, not all that were in the area, but seriously we didn't have much time.

We were also able to go to Arizona Bridal and she found the perfect dress and bought it...FASTEST wedding dress shopping trip I have ever been on, and I have been a number of times with my friends and a couple of times for myself...only once when I was REALLY engaged (GIRL, remember? YES, I went wedding dress shopping just for the fun of it with a girlfriend a couple of times).

She actually found the dress that she had seen and liked online. It was a good day to buy it because they had a special going on...she was able to get a tiara, a 'poofy' skirt (as Emily called it) and a bag for the dress...all free. It was great! A couple of alterations, and the dress will be perfect. I am SO glad Emily was able to find the dress she wanted and that it looks so beautiful on her!

Oh, and we ate lunch at Aloha Kitchen with Aunt Nancy, Aunt Dianne, Barron and Jessica...good times!!!

She (Emily) and Ison are now down south meeting some of her in-laws...I hope they are just wonderful! I like Ison more and more. I am glad I am going home next weekend (father's day weekend...couldn't keep it a surprise...dang it!)...it will be a busy time, Emily's birthday, my parents anniversary AND father's day...boy howdy I am glad I am getting paid Friday! (where in the WORLD did I get the phrase 'boy howdy' from???)

//////////////////////////////////////////////

My Grandpa's last living sibling passed away this morning. He got up, went out to sit on his recliner and went to be with his siblings, parents and all others that had gone on before him. What a way to go...

It is so strange to think that that generation in my family is all gone. I remember going to the Raisor reunions as a little kid and all of my Grandpa's siblings were there with all of their kids and such. I love my Great Uncle Calvin...he would sing songs and tell jokes and funny stories...he loved his wife and his family very much, he made that very obvious. I was very sad to hear that he had passed away, but I am glad that he isn't experiencing anymore pain.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

WARNING: Some spoilers are found within the following, so read at your own risk!

I finally went and saw Prince Caspian. It was excellent!!! If you haven't gone, go! I loved it, I really did. I hope they really will do all seven of the books. Prince Caspian is the second of the seven Chronicles of Narnia (if you put the seven books into chronological order, it really is the 4th book, as book six takes place at the beginning of Narnia and book five takes place during the reign of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, or rather within the time frame of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

What the HECK was up with the love interest?!? That most CERTAINLY was NOT in the book. I don't understand...

Other than that I loved it. They had to change certain things of course because it was a movie. I liked how they portrayed Lucy's role...not exactly like the book but I think it caught the vision of the book quite well. I LOVED the scene with the White Witch!!! Very beautifully done.

5 comments:

EmilyLemily said...

Yay! First to write a comment! ;) Ya, I see what I like and I get it and that was the dress for me! And I loved being able to see you and meet my future mother-in-law! I love you!

Aubrey & Cheyenne Martin said...

Thanks for the spoiler alert. I am so deprived of culture, the last movie I saw in the theater was Transformers. I was 8 mos. pregnant and had to stand for 30 minutes of it because hips fell asleep. Also, funny thing, I thought I was on my sister's blog for some reason and when I read the beginning of the post about your soon-to-be brother in law, I kind of freaked out. Ironic that you should post about your Grandpa's brother's passing. I was just thinking along similar lines. It appears as if the old generation is making way for the new. I've never been at this point in the "circle of life" before and it's kind of a profound experience.

Rocketgirl said...

I'm afraid I probably gave you "boy howdy". I apologize. And wish I could go wedding dress shopping... sniff... I didn't have any friends here when I got engaged, and my MIL took me for a horrible dress experience (involving a thrift store - AK!)... oh, and I didn't even know my fiance really and we fought the entire time we were engaged - I can'tWAIT until Solei gets engaged and I can drage her through everything!!! heehee

Elizabeth said...

Emily: I love you too!!!

Chey: Yeah, it's weird to think that that generation in my family is nearly all gone, on both sides of my family...

Rocketgirl: I actually thought that it MAY be you that I got that from, but then I wasn't sure...and it may not be you...and we should totally go wedding dress shopping just for the fun of it...

Madalyn said...

Yes, shopping for wedding has lot of fun. Got my shopping for a lovely wedding dress & accessories through Overstock at resonable prices.