Sunday, May 16, 2010

Movies

Spent the entire evening yesterday at the movie theater. I got the hook up! It was awesome...it's been a LONG time since I've drunk that much soda!

K, my reviews:

Letters to Juliet

I liked it. The movie joked about this story (Amanda Seyfried plays a writer who chronicles the journey she makes with the lady looking for her true love) making people want to go to Italy. Well, I too want to go to Verona, Italy now. I could've used a letter from Juliet a time or two. The one thing that I did NOT like was the very end. The lines were over the top cheesy, and the song they used at the end just didn't feel right...I really was expecting it to go back into the Taylor Swift song, but oh well...too bad I wasn't the music producer on this film. ;)

I loved the woman playing the grandmother, Vanessa Redgrave. She looked SO much like the late Natasha Richardson, and even sounded like her with the exact same English accent...I was astonished to find out that Vanessa was not only her mother, but also Joely Richardson's mother. Talk about an acting family. Their grandfather also was a renowned actor (Goodbye, Mr. Chips was one movie he was in that I recognized) and was even knighted! Anyways, I loved her performance, and after reading up on her I appreciated it even more so. This movie had a good bit of tragedy in it, which Vanessa in her real life has had recently, losing Natasha last year, and then two siblings within the last month or so...talk about relating to your character...I believe her love life even somewhat resembles the story in this movie, but I am not too sure about that.

There were parts of the movie where it felt quite awkward, but it made the situation more realistic, which I really liked...of course, until the very end...not so much that it ruins the movie, but it seems like that ending should be a lot better, and that their test audiences would've clued them into it...anyways, go see it...the story overall is lovely.

K, now for Robin Hood...


I liked it. The story line of the tale is changed up a bit, which I found interesting. And they left it open for a sequel at the end, which totally surprised me.

I loved that Robin Hood wasn't this young, know it all, totally sure of himself character. They really humanized the character in this film, made him seem believable.

I don't mind telling you this, cause we all know the story of Robin Hood: they didn't bring King Richard back at the end...pretty much all versions of the Robin Hood story have King Richard making his triumphal entry, throwing down his petty brother John back to the pig sty where he belongs, and they all live happily ever after. At least, the 'fairytale' ones that I have read and seen. This movie was an explanation of how Robin Hood became 'Robin Hood', the outlaw, and how he and his group of merry men came together and how he and Marian met and fell in love. I liked it. Of course, John did succeed Richard in reality, but not before Richard returned to England after the crusades, so...who knows if they will do a sequel or not to this movie.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Tarzan is a history major and his specialty was European history.
You should have heard him rant when we first saw the trailer for Robin Hood. "Best example of revisionist history in existence."
I tried to tell him about Sir Hiss but he didn't seem too impressed. :-)
I'm so glad that Letters To Juliet was good. I want to see that one a lot.