Monday, August 31, 2009

Alabama 33 Virginia Tech 21

Last year one of the doctors asked if I babysit. Of course I babysit! I love kids!!! So I babysat for her.

We talked again a few weeks ago, and after she consulted with her husband they decided that they wanted to use me again this year. Woot!

Tonight at FHE the YSA were trying to figure out where they could gather to watch the game, and our house came up...the roommate is going to the beach with her family, so everyone took a good look at me...I considered it for a moment, and then luckily remembered before they ran with the idea that I was babysitting Saturday.

There were protests: how could you babysit during a game?

Very easily: my life does not revolve around Alabama football. Nor does it around any other sport for that matter.

They were still amazed.

I actually enjoy being around kids wholeheartedly, so it's not really work to watch them. I'm not missing anything Saturday that I feel I am going to miss out on except associating with my friends here in town...but my closest friend I believe has to go to the game to work, the roomie will be at the beach, so...why not?

People here take their college football seriously...and even their high school football. They could really care less for the NFL...going to the scrimmages before the season starts is a highlight for all football fans here...you would think an actual game was going on...the minute details people mull over here is just incredible to me...everyone is an expert on football here...our 'ice-breaker' at FHE tonight was 'what will the score be for the game Saturday?' Everyone told their guess, which was recorded, and the closest to the actual score wins something...not sure what yet. EVERYONE guessed an Alabama victory...I strongly thought about going the other way, but I think that might have pushed some peoples strings too far...

It irks some people to no end that I root for ASU...:) It's my Alma Mater, and I wouldn't trade any moment of my 4 years there for anything...even the bad experiences. They were good for me. GO DEVILS!!!

But after ASU, I do have to say, 'ROLL TIDE ROLL'!!!

3 comments:

The Allen Fam said...

DEVILS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!! Hey our town takes High School football pretty seriously too. They even bring in a real lion as the mascot. I heard that the games here are like the TV show Friday Night Lights. We haven't been to a game here yet for the HS but I refuse to drive on Friday nights because the traffic is sooooo crazy, everyone is off to the game.

Katy said...

You know, I have to admit that I miss that about New Mexico.....the lack of craze over sports. Jesse and I don't hate organized sports but we just don't get into them. He doesn't even know when the Superbowl is and neither of us could tell you who won the last Alabama-Auburn game. U of A is my alma mater, and I know games are fun, but I mainly remember it for my wonderful education. I could be wrong, but isn't that what college is for?

Jane said...

All Trojans all the time and I like to think that we are symbols to the world what with being rivals in the same college football conference and still friends. :-)