Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Butter...

Last night I found THIS New York Times article about the effect the movie Julie & Julia is having on the book business. My favorite part of the article was the ending.

I already bought the book Julie & Julia before seeing the movie, but didn't start reading it until after seeing the film. In the movie, Amy Adams character Julie Powell asks her husband 'do you think she (meaning Julia) doesn't like it (her blog) because I use the F-word sometimes?'. I admit, I chuckled...terrible, yeah, I know. Well, then I started reading the book. That sucker had more language and blech in it in the first 100 pages or so than any 100 books that I have ever read combined. She has every right to do that, but that is just not for me...I kept hoping it was going to clear up because beyond all that it was an interesting read, but it kept getting worse, so I skipped to the parts about Julia Child's life that were strewn in the midst of the book and then I threw it into a plastic bag and have yet to decide if I should give it to the library or what...I was SOOOOOOO disappointed, the movie was lovely in many ways...

In the Times article they quote Nora Ephron (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally) who is the director, writer and producer of this film. The quote is at the end of the article with her saying that she secretly hoped that moviegoers would go from the theaters to the bookstores and that books would go flying off the shelves...but they may find that another product may be flying off the shelves much more than those books mentioned in the film...

...because as for me, I bought butter. :)

4 comments:

Katy said...

So the movie was OK? I had wanted to see it.

Elizabeth said...

Yes...little bit of language, and the intimate parts were pretty much comprised of kissing, no sex scene thank you very much...Rachel, Nichee and I all liked it...

Jane said...

Don't you hate that? I really dislike being disappointed that way. Sorry about the book but I'm glad the movie was okay.

EmilyLemily said...

I don't buy books before I read them now because I want to make sure that it is clean...yay for my library!! Especially for the books for my book club that I'm in...sorry you have a potty mouth book now!