Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Injury

K...so I went to a YSA activity and stayed at my friends apartment in B'ham...I go to take a shower, and my right foot slipped a little bit and I hit my left shin against the side of the bathtub. Now, it hurt, you know, like stubbing your toe, and I thought "well great, now I will have a lovely bruise to show the world"...

...a minute later I look down, and there is a blue spot and a rather significant swelling...

...five minutes later I have this (and no, that isn't my knee, that is my shin...):




It's the size of my palm...

...and it grew bigger the next day...and I was still at the YSA thing...and I only brought capris...yeah, wasn't too happy about that...

So, when you get a goose egg on your forehead, you get a black eye because the blood from the broken blood vessels that caused the huge swelling seeps down due to the fact that gravity works...well, this is what happens when you get a goose egg on your shin...


Not the mosquito bites by the way, the black/red/blue/purple stuff is what I am trying to show off...

So yeah, my leg is pretty much all swollen and stiff and sore...it feels REALLY good in the morning but by the end of the day I just can't wait until I don't have to put any more weight on it...

I work at a doctors office, and 5 of the 7 doctors have seen it. Granted, they are pulmonologists, but they are MD's. One asked if I have a blood disorder because he said that was a LOT of seepage...another doctor asked about the same thing, and I told him I haven't been diagnosed with one (yes now I am officially freaking out about the possibility of that and yes I will be asking my regular doctor next time I see him about that), but he said I probably broke some pretty significant blood vessels and that it will just heal...ice and advil...ice and advil...ice and advil...



This is what the egg looks like now:


It's still an egg, but it is MUCH smaller than it was...

4 comments:

Caroline said...

OH MY WORD! That looks awful and painful! You may be one of the most accident prone people I know!

Rocketgirl said...

Holy snap!! This could ONLY happen to you, you know. You need to see a doc asap to let him see how your body reacts to stuff like this. You weirdo.

Jane said...

OMG!! So sore! I think you should have made/make the guys carry you around at the activity because it hurts so much. Ow!! So sorry that should happen to a nice person like you.

Kayla said...

OUCH! That's aweful! Poor thing :( My boys and I react weird to stuff like that too. crazy! I have to carry stuff in my purse at all times in case the boys or I decide to be clumbsy (like it's a choice) and get a bruise :) I should send you some ;)