Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Concert

One of the doctors at the office I will be working at for the next year knows I am a musician and has invited me to Indian classical music concerts before...and so right when I got to Alabama he invited me to another one up in Birmingham...and it was amazing!!!


The concert was the 'coming out' performance for this 13 year old boy who played the drum for the performance...and I have to say, he was amazing. His guru (who you see retuning the drum...the drum was the only instrument that needed constant tuning between each song...the violinist only re-tuned his instrument once...) decided that his apprentice was ready to perform publicly...they invited some pretty incredible musicians from all over the world to perform with this young man...


The beginning of the performance had a ceremony to this God...and I didn't catch the name of it...but it was very interesting to watch, the priest started chanting, and gave offerings to the God, and then the parents of the young man made an offering, then the priest blessed the parents, and the young man, and the young mans drum...very interesting...


Here is a short video...



And a longer one...



One of the nice things about the concert was that they fed everyone who attended the concert afterwards...an authentic Indian meal...it was AMAZING...every single bit of it...the concert ran a little long (3 hours without a break) but the music was great, and as you can see, I got fed VERY well afterwards...


3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

SO jealous!! I LOVE Indian music and I love their food too:) My BF's dad has a tabla studio and I got to play violin and accompany one of his recitals. You know tabla and celtic music sound super cool together?? Hey - their clothes are modest (not the half shurt saris, but their other stuff is) and LONG for girls like us. I just found a super inexpensive place to get Indian tops - www.riafashions.com and I ordered one to wear for some of my upcoming shows. I think it'll be here by next weekend so you can check it out:)

Rocketgirl said...

hrm, the lnk did't work - well, the addy is www.riafashions.com, have fun!
(plus right now it's free shipping to the USA! WOohoo!!)

Jane said...

Such yummy food!! And how much fun to see another culture/religion whatevs up close. Drums are awesome.