Saturday, December 12, 2009

Evidently...

First of all, congrats to Mark Ingram for bringing Alabama its first Heisman trophy...he totally earned it...

(I can't help it...you try living in Tuscaloosa and not become a college football fan...it sucks you in eventually...)

Now for the real reason for the post:

...evidently flour is an important ingredient in hashbrowns.

I made the recipe exactly to order (or so I thought) with the modification of use pre-shredded potatos, pre-rubbed instead of freshly chopped sage, and microwaved bacon (I have never cooked bacon in the microwave...I might have to do this from now on, cause skillets hate me in the bacon department)...

I start frying them (the hashbrowns)...and they fall completely apart. There were little bits of potato, onions, bacon and garlic floating around in the oil...I got on the phone with my sister halfway through saying I was just baffled at why they weren't sticking together...I put the eggs in for crying out loud...

...I get off the phone and suddenly it dawned on me...the flour never made it into the bowl...

...it was MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH easier going after that. I felt like kicking myself...I didn't, but I sure felt like it...

Nevertheless, very yummy. Will have to make them again. Potatoes, red onions (a MUST), sage, garlic, egg, FLOUR (an absolute must), salt and pepper...

1 comment:

Jane said...

The things we learn as we cook for ourselves.