Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tender Mercy...

So about a month or so ago my sister calls me with some rather lovely news. Evidently she and her hubby had a free ticket voucher that was going to expire...and Emily had a 2 week break coming up...and well...she said they were thinking about having her come out to see me! :)

The look of joy...


She just got a new haircut...isn't it absolutely fantastic!!


So what did we do the first morning of her long weekend here? Being from New Mexico we thought that it would be cool to go to the Native American Festival going on in Moundville...


After walking around for about 20 or so minutes we realized that we had yet to see any Native Americans...the crafts for sale were either made in India (with the sticker on them) or being sold by people who were definitely not Native American...the dance lesson was being taught by a guy paler than me (hard to do) with a fairly strong southern accent, food being cooked by non-native looking people...we finally saw two as we were on our way out...there were mostly kids from all the elementary schools in the area with annoyed-looking parents (half the kids had these $1 whistles and recorders from the 'craft' stands that were also made in India)...

My poor sister...I get out of the car in Moundville and say 'wow, this is a nice day'...she walks out and thinks 'This is a nice day???'. Comparatively, it really was!

The humidity was getting to her...

(staged in front of the ambulence...'Emily, do that face again...')

I had to get a picture of a mound...and I found this sign too funny to pass up...yes, Moundville is named for all the mounds that the Native Americans built in this area...some are rather pyramid shaped, but I think they were built to keep the people out of the flood plane...

Only 3 mosquito bites for me, and none for her...my blood is sweeter than hers evidently...which I find very hard to believe. :)

I am so glad that they (Emily and Ison) thought of having her come here to see me, and am so grateful that Ison was willing to let her come to see me. It is so lovely having someone here 24 hours a day for a few days!!! And even better that it is my sister!!! :)

I am just happy beyond words...

1 comment:

EmilyLemily said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed my company :) You should post about the other stuff we did...oh, and could you e-mail all the pics to me? Thanks!