Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Sudden Change In Plans...

So I left my work's Thanksgiving lunch that the doctor's do every year for us with bonus check in hand, deposited said bonus, and started my drive up to Virginia. Traffic was a little heavier than usual, but that is to be expected. 20/59 to 459 went fine, 459 to 59 went fine...

That is when the trouble happened. Traffic came to a COMPLETE STOP. I mean, 30 minutes later I was still in the same spot I was. About an hour into this complete stop, I got out onto the interstate, made friends with a truck driver and found out that (by the way, you may not want to read this...) they found a car with two girls in it that they have been looking for for a couple of days. The girls ran the car into a ditch which had water in it and drowned. So they of course closed the freeway to pull the car out and exhume the bodies.

So I was stuck on the freeway for 2 1/2 hours (approximately, not sure exactly how long it was) before we moved up enough for me to find a path across the median to the other side of the freeway (yes, I know it was illegal, but by golly I was DONE).  

So with detour, that would've put me at my best friends place at 3 or 4 am...and that's dangerous with me driving. Midnight, 1 am, I can handle, but NOT 3 or 4. 

SO I turned around. 

Nearly had the most depressing night of my life (k, exaggeration, but it had potential to be really really bad), being that I have planned this for months, but I ended up having a really really good night in spite of everything, and my cousins in Atlanta (Scott and Penny) invited me to come over and spend Thanksgiving with them...I drove over this morning and will go back tomorrow sometime...no early morning shopping for amazing deals for me...:(

Who knows, maybe this happened for a reason...

Becky, we are spending every moment we can with each other at New Year's, do you understand??

2 comments:

Katy said...

I have been in one of those complete stops on the Interstate before....not fun. I'm sorry about your trip; maybe you'll be more successful next time.

Ashley said...

I'm sorry that happened! But I'm glad you had family to eat Thanksgiving with after all.