Monday, November 10, 2008

Giving In???...and Report!

So I MAY be giving in to getting back onto Facebook. Perhaps it's morphed into something that I can stand...no, not making any promises that I will, but I am actually considering it now.

Why the change of heart?

No, it's not because I have a strong urge to rekindle past relationships from elementary school, I won't be avidly seeking people out on there for that.

No, not because I am looking for Mr. Right and he may actually be on Facebook (yes, looking for Mr. Right, but I will not use Facebook to find him...I did the internet dating thing for a while and decided that it sucks and is not for me).

No it won't be used to keep track of activities for YSA and other such things, or to see who is dating who, who is reading what, etc etc etc...

It will be used for networking. What got me thinking about it was something that was said at the conference I just attended up in Nashville for all the music nerds and geeks in the United States...the graduate students are going to make a group and connect using facebook...THAT is what got me thinking about getting back on. That is something that caught my interest, especially being that there really are very few of us graduate students studying this thing call music theory...

Don't get me wrong, if I had all the time in the world I would love to read up on how people are doing, rekindle past relationships...I still wouldn't do the online hookup thing...but you know, keep up with people and such, but there are far too many people that I know and care about and I simply don't have the time to keep up on them. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own family.

Anyways, I will let you know if I actually got on there or not. I may add you as a friend, but you won't buy me, give me pets, write stupid things on my walls, or whatever else all those new things are on Facebook (I only know those things from the 2 or 3 times my sister showed me her page)...I know, I will have the lamest profile on Facebook to most of you, I am sure...:) It's funny, cause I really do love small and stupid things (like slinkys...I have a secret love affair with those things...they can entertain me for hours) but that is just a little much for me, in my opinion...

/////////////////////////////////////

I LOVE NASHVILLE!!! Seriously, one of the most beautiful places I have been. Very good roads and freeways for the most part, traffic wasn't bad at all, very easy to find my way around, and seriously just beautiful! I enjoyed myself tremendously...

Oh, yeah, the conference...that was great too!

Pictures! And I am not even going to bother putting them into any real kind of order, so if they are out of order oh well. I am up way too late as it is to be waking up at 6:00am...I can't wait until I don't have to work at 8:00am...oh happy day...oh right, pictures:


Proof that Chris does eat more than just Raman noodles...and this was his first time at a Hard Rock Cafe...great shot, I think...Chris is a fellow music theorist who rode up with me (yay for splitting gas money)...if it weren't for me, the man would have starved the whole time we were there. I swear, the kid doesn't eat.


The strip...Nashville style...complete with peddlar, carraiges, tourists, neon lights and bars...


The AT&T building at night, very pretty...not as pretty of a skyline as Atlanta has, but that's okay, I forgave Nashville that...

The King...


That's me...and a really big guitar...with pictures of a bunch of country stars...


Me displaying my excellent driving skills...children, do not do this at home...look at the trees though!


See!!! Look...


Now this shot was taken as I was driving very fast on the freeway...pretty dang excellent, I have to say...pretty pretty pretty...


Nashville skyline...and Church St...the building with the two spires is the AT&T building...


Oh, and for you NPR buffs, that is Tim Riley. I have decided he is not a very intelligent man. He got a number of things wrong. We are the 'Society for Music Theory' NOT 'The Society of Music Theorists'...and we are NOT musicologists, we are music theorists...and I am sorry, your paper...yeah, you seriously need to work on getting facts straight, friend...ESPECIALLY in front of a whole audience of people who know FAR more than you do about music...INCLUDING the popular music canon (the topic of his and two other papers, of which only one was noteworthy), which even us classical music nerds know plenty about. BIGGEST WASTE OF 30 MINUTES EVER!!!

4 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

See, I don't think you even CAN do the online dating thing with Facebook, since no one can see your profile except for your friends and why would you let a stranger into that?? But oh heavens, it has made my life SO much easier - I've found friends and roomates from over 15 years ago, and getting in touch with ANYONE is now a breeze because they are all there! Some people spend hours there doing games or something, but I don't even know how to do those, I just do it for the networking miracle worker it is.

And so glad Nashville was faboo! Sorry Tim Riley is a moron - I listen to NPR almost daily and I can't even remember who that is...

The Allen Fam said...

I am glad that you had fun. Did you tell Dr. Holbrook I said hi, Dr. Carpenter?

Jane said...

My sister has to use Faceboook ALL THE TIME because that's where her ward posts all their activities and messages and they ask each other out there too.

holley family said...

Hey!!! that at&t building... we went in october to nashville cause brad had a conference, and my kids kept calling it the batman building! hahaha. i love nashville in the fall. i also found a few free historical things to do there that was REALLY REALLY neat!