Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Goal...and without fail...and a first...

I have decided on a goal, but I don't have a date of when to accomplish it by...I want to re-memorize the dates for all the major composers that I once knew by heart...it became apparent to me recently just how much I have forgotten over the last 1 1/2 years...I need to get back on that track, for sure...you know, being a professional musician and all...:)

I have a list of composers to start with, which also has their major works listed with them...I think I am going to start with that. A former professor of mine gave this list to all of his students. It's only 11 pages long, I think I can handle a page a day, just memorizing the dates and re-remembering important facts and such about the composer...so if I do that five days a week, it should take me little more than two weeks.

So, here we go! :) I will report later...

Of course, I still am doing my usual Stravinsky work...(June 17th, 1882-April 6th, 1971)

//////////////////////////////////////////

I think it funny that in this ward, you just can't get away with a Sunday where football isn't mentioned within a talk or at least one of the lessons...

///////////////////////////////////////////

Today I went to Church to find out my boss(member)'s wife gave birth to their first baby boy. I went to the hospital to offer my congratulations and such, and discovered that the baby was in the ICU. That was a first for me, to visit expecting to see the healthy baby and to discover that the baby was sick. He should be okay though, the baby is low on blood sugar and he had a spot that showed up on his lungs when they took an xray, possible pneumonia...

I went down to look/admire/be-even-more-concerned-than-I-was-when-I-first-found-out at the baby...I really hope that the room they keep the babies in is really warm, because he had no blankets on whatsoever...I felt bad for him. His Mom came down and put socks, gloves and a hat on, all with the Alabama "A" on them, the hat being crimson (yes, HUGE Alabama fans...).

Then I saw a little one that was only two pounds. TWO pounds. I mean, the tiniest little guy/girl (not sure which it was). My heart just gave out...bless those nurses and doctors working in that area to keep that little one alive. Thank goodness for modern technology.

I hope that if I ever have children that I never have to experience that...

5 comments:

Jane said...

Look at you being all proactive in your career education-ing. I'm totally in awe of you, for so many reasons, but this one too.
One question: What's the "usual Stravinsky work?"

Katy said...

There's a lot of talk about cows, sheeps and ranching on Sundays in our ward. As for the baby in NICU, they do keep it warm for the little guys. Adam was in there at the Pres. Hospital in Albuquerque and they took such good care of him. I hope everything turns out all right!!!

Ashley said...

I got the Ensley YW Pres. number for you. Send me an email at ashley.aynes@gmail.com and I'll email the numbers back to you.

Big Tom the Great and Magnificent said...

Been there done that!

Candice said...

Good luck with the memorizing! I, for one, have no memory whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's from my gray hair or my kids.....