Monday, October 13, 2008

And it is...

Stake Young Women's Secretary...

...oh yes, I am oh so serious...

...see why I am nervous!??!?!

Now, this calling doesn't mean that I work directly with the Young Women. On the contrary, we are the resource for the presidency. We will help out with the Young Women at times, but our main focus is helping and training the presidency, my primary job being training the secretaries, making sure they are keeping accurate records and other such things...as well as being the secretary for the Stake YW Presidency...gulp...

Yes this means I am going to Girl's Camp...

I will be totally honest with you...I am not a fan (of girl's camp). Everyone else around me seems to be, but I am not. I am putting on a good face and everything, but I had bad camp experiences. Bug bites that swell up my whole arm, heat exhaustion, hiking (yeah, I don't like hard hikes at ALL...walking, big fan, difficult hikes...yeah, not so much, hurts my knees a LOT), sleeping on uncomfortable surfaces (slept in tents with sleeping bags on the ground...yeah, I didn't sleep for the whole week), rained EVERYDAY and yet there was fire danger so we couldn't have a big bonfire...makes sense, right?, freezing cold, bears, not very appetizing stuff that they called food, the shower had one setting which was icy cold, so cold that when the water hit you you couldn't breath, like how it would feel if you fell through the ice on a lake...

BUT I do remember the testimony meetings being absolutely incredible.

I am very weird with out-doorsy things. I like certain parts of it a lot, but others I don't. I DO NOT like being uncomfortable at all. I don't mind heat so much as long as I have water, but cold? No thank you. I remember I went to a camp where we shot arrows and went canoing and swimming and slip-line riding and other such things...and I would love to learn how to shoot a gun to go hunting and fishing and boating and such. And I don't mind getting dirty, muddy, whatever, as long as there is a way to get clean and a clean set of clothes close enough for me to get into...

I do know that working with the youth is SOOOO important. I mean, once the Young Women are done with being in the youth, they come into Relief Society and join the ranks of the YSA. Do you know how many baptized YSA actually are active in the Church? It's something dismal like 20%, probably less. Yeah. So working with the Young Women is SOOOOOOOOOO important.

Can I just say, I am SO glad I am not the president. But she is just wonderful, I think she is really really good. I look forward to working with her. And she has a special interest in Young Women...she has five boys...

5 comments:

Caroline said...

I am SO SO SO jealous! I had that calling right before we got called to Greensboro. It was BY FAR my favorite calling! It is a lot of work especially during the summer with girl's camp and youth conference but it is SO much fun! I had the honor of working with Sister Ripley for a little while when she was a counselor and she is amazing! The girls love her!
Don't worry-you won't get cold at girl's camp!
Let me know if I can help you with anything!

Thanaglim said...

i'm with you on your feelings about camp...

i'm not a rough it kind of girl

i will go camping as long as i have a nice shower and a bathroom

heidi said...

at least you won't freeze to death at girl's camp.
and i was a BIG TIME girl's camp hater. i consider myself and expert indoorswoman, but i LOVED it when i went as a leader this year. what a difference being in charge makes!

Jane said...

Totally there with you on Girl's Camp. I did not like the bugs or the ground sleeping or the outhouse AT ALL. Maybe the leaders get a cabin?
You will be super good at the calling though. And you're so compassionate and understanding that all the people will love you.

Kayla said...

That's awesome!!!
Don't worry about camp, usually the stake leaders have it made up at camp. I was a Tent Mom this past summer and while I was in a tent, on hard ground, going to the bathroom in a stinky port a potty, the stake leaders were sleeping in the lodge with mattresses and a real bathroom and shower. yeah, so don't worry, you will be taken care of :) LOL Good luck with everything, that calling is a lot of work, but so very important!