Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wonderfully Wonderful and TERRIBLE Thief...


I have had the pleasure of seeing Alice in Wonderland twice now...once in 2D, and once in 3D. I am not sure which I liked better...I almost think that the 3D was distracting, but whatever. I loved it. I loved everything from the color to the design to the nod's found throughout to the original Disney cartoon or classic Disney in general (the Cheshire cat and the moon...LOVED that)...I thought that storyline was wonderful. Same thing with Star Trek, how they were able to create a storyline that did no injury or change to the original story. The script was brilliant. I find myself quoting it often, which is always a good sign for a movie.

The second time I watched it was in 3D. I was glad for the second show, because I was able to really get a good look at elements besides the main movie...but then the stupid 3D...I couldn't focus on things that I knew I was able to focus on in the 2D movie. That is a real failing with 3D as it stands. When the motion is quick with the camera, the human eye cannot focus in on the 3D screen, where in real life you can focus far better when in motion. That is something they really need to work on. Anyways, I loved the detail they put into the costumes (if you get a second chance, take a good look at the Mad Hatter...almost every part of his wardrobe has something to do with making hats...), the scenery (both castles, the battleground, the garden...everything).

Johnny Depp was in my opinion brilliant. He does so well with these off the wall characters, and really makes them their own. I found at the end of the movie that I grew quite fond of the character, the Mad Hatter (fond is the best word I could think of...compassionate wasn't right, but in love wasn't either!). I wish that Alice had either fell in love with him or found someone in the real world that was like him and fell in love with him...evidently in a rough draft of the script, they were supposed to be a love interest. Here's hoping for a sequel! :) LOVED the futterwhacken...wish I could do those moves. And for those of you that could not understand what the heck the Mad Hatter said to Alice before she left Wonderland (like me, I had to look it up), it was 'Fairfallen, Alice', which is a Scottish word meaning farewell/safe journey.

Ha...when Chessur gives the Mad Hatter his hat back, and says 'Goodbye sweet hat', Johnny Depp plays the part PERFECT...

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now, I also saw the Lightning Thief movie...if you haven't seen it, don't. Not worth the money. Not worth purchasing on DVD, not worth renting the DVD at redbox when it comes out. The script was awful, there were numerous problems with the story, the acting was terrible. Really, it doesn't take much to please me with a movie. I am VERY forgiving. This was a badly made movie. And no I haven't read the books.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love what Johnny Depp does to a character. He's just insane enough to make you think twice but not so insane that you dismiss the whole thing as stupid. It's a fine line that man can walk. I look forward to the seeing the movie.

April said...

I wonder if I would like it better in 2D. As I was watching it in 3d, I thought I might. I do love Johny Depp. I can't believe you hated the lightening thief. Haha. Have fun on your trip lady!