Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Little Shopping Therapy

I came SOOOOO close to buying a Coach bag. A real, useful, everyday purse. It was baby blue. And with all the discounts (clearance + 30% off) $55.00 or so...which is about $15 more than what I have paid for a purse in the past. It was roomy, one strap, totally useful.

Could not bring myself to buy it. I couldn't justify it. Not until after I make my next trip home to see my rapidly growing nephew.

I spent the summer barely surviving. Yep. Made just enough to pay the essential-to-pay bills, and left the other ones to wait until a little extra money showed up on my doorstep.

I haven't been to Sonic for a couple of weeks, and before that it had been about 3 weeks. I think I may swear Sonic off all together until after Christmas...well, except for tots...and maybe an occasional Sundae Shake (they are kind of amazing). I spent SO much money there, it's ridiculous.

Anyways. Got my first paycheck since May where I am truly making more money than I need to survive. So I paid a BUNCH of not-so-essential-to-pay bills, paid rent early, and am figuring out the best weekend to head home. Unfortunately not Labor Day Weekend due to a recital and some Church stuff that needs to be taken care of that weekend. So the first or second weekend after that.

Now, with all that, and another paycheck or two that are expected, I will have some money to spare.

SHOPPING!!

Oh, it's been SOOOO long (ok, 3 months) since I really had money to spend on not-so-essential-but-totally-useful-and-nice-to-wear-clothing and other items of similar importance. :)

AND apparently this entire year I have lived here in Utah, a FABULOUS outlet mall has been within an hour drive...I even passed it on a couple of fun occasions.

This Outlet includes a Coach Factory Outlet (if you couldn't guess), Ann Taylor (3 tops, less that $50.00, thank you VERY much), a candy store for adults (forgot the name of it, but we bought goodies...), and other such lovely places.

I really could've bought that bag. The money is in the account.

BUT it is not as essential as new shirts (some bug ate holes through a bunch of my brand spanking new as of the Spring work shirts...I hope I get to reprimand that bug in the hereafter), measuring cups, and some really good chocolate. Moose bites and Belgian Chocolate with Sea Salt and Almonds...d.i.v.i.n.e.

Or as essential as making sure I really can afford a trip home to Mom, Dad, Sister, Bro-in-law, and Icee (I am sticking with that name for now, even though his nickname with everyone else is becoming Ike).

All this was experienced with my friend Melissa from my ward. I have since discovered after our ventures through World Market that she has never been to a Whole Foods, which I about had a heart attack when I saw it as we were pulling away. We are planning another trip to have lunch there and another shopping venture.

Maybe Coach will leave that bag for me...and there will be an even BETTER sale! (understand...this bag was originally $200.00 or some really ridiculous amount...and VERY pretty...)

2 comments:

Jane said...

Such self control you have. I hope the next paychecks are HUGE so you get some good shopping in.

The Tenneys said...

Good job on the self-control! I know that it is hard to do, especially when you really really really want something (like, for me, art supplies!).

I hope to see you here soon to see your nephew! He is so much fun and really is growing so fast!

I love you!