Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween 2010: Nightmare Before Christmas

Have I mentioned how much I love Halloween? I really truly love Halloween. It mostly stems from the chance to try out stage makeup for myself. I think I first became a bit obsessed with stage makeup when we bought a book that was all about the Phantom of the Opera...it showed a stage by stage process of how they make the Phantom look the way he does. I was mesmerized. Absolutely loved it. 

First, the costume. I was so lucky to find the costume here in Orem. There is a small costume store that makes it's residence in the mall here called Taylor Maid Costumes. There were two problems though. The wig had barely any yarn on it, so you could see the underside of the wig easily, and the back of the dress was a solid panel of pink. I can't believe Disney let them get away with that (this was a licensed costume). So I went to the packed fabric store full of people doing last minute fabric shopping to make costumes, grabbed a bunch of pre-cut quilting squares, and using fabric glue, patched the back. My roommate and I then went to town adding the stitching you see in the movie. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately), I didn't get a picture of my costume from the back:

IF I had had more time both Friday and Saturday, I would've tried my hand at molding wax to my face to make it really look like I was a stitched together rag doll. But the makeup looked pretty awesome, even if I do say so myself. And yes, I put makeup on my legs too, with the stitching. I am still trying to get the eyeliner off the back of my knees...


I was a big hit in Wal-Mart...2 people asked for my picture. I felt like I was a character at Disneyland. :)

3 comments:

Jane said...

You are quite devoted to your craft. I usually choose costumes tht DON'T need makeup just so I don't have to worry about taking it off at the end of the night and maybe missing something.
That was amazing. I would give you chocolate.

Lindsay said...

This is Sally, right? One of my dream costumes!

Cody and I more excited about the new harry potter movie than halloween (yes, we're nerds)--we ordered ravenclaw ties. =}

Elizabeth said...

Already have my midnight showing ticket...12:08AM!

Yes, Sally...I am going to fix the wig though...it's much too bright for Sally, although she is a red head...