Monday, April 23, 2012

Ode to a Can Opener

So, I have this pet peeve about can openers...

A can opener should be simple and easy to use. Stick it on a can, squeeze, and turn. And it should have a bottle opener on it.

For the last few years I have gone through ~6 different can openers. I had those awful barely useful can openers that you find in the Church kitchen drawers sometimes, those tiny silver ones that hurt your hands and don't work. I've had the dollar store ones that are worth less than the dollar paid for them. I've had the Kitchen Aid ones...heaven forbid you come across a dent in your can. Cans NEVER have dents in them. You go back and forth about 5 million (exaggerated only slightly) times to try and get it to open and end up using a butter knife or a carving knife to open the stupid thing the rest of the way.

They are awful things.

So I decided one fine day to finally invest in a good can opener.

Where did I go?

Williams-Sonoma of course!! :) I love that store. I NEVER buy anything in there except as wedding gifts for others, but they really do have the best kitchen wares.

I talked with the two lovely ladies working there that day (it was a slow day apparently) and they both swore by this can opener they have. One said she's had it for 5 years and hadn't found a can it didn't work on and that it STILL worked like the first day she bought it. And she has kids.

So, I bit. I bought it. I even had to wait for it for 6 weeks because they were backordered. BUT I got free shipping out of the deal!

When they finally arrived, it was a glorious day. It was almost as easy as putting a butter knife through room temperature butter...tuna can, check! Soup cans, check! Food storage cans, check! I started opening cans for the heck of it...which of course caused totally separate problems...

So, go HERE. Buy one. Promise, you will thank me later. $10 plus shipping. If you go in store and they are out, they will give you free shipping if you purchase it that day in the store btw. Same goes with any other purchases in the store where they don't have it available for immediate purchase.

(NO, I am not getting paid by them for this lauding advertisement, although if they would like to pay me for it I wouldn't say no...:) )

3 comments:

Jannie, Mom, Grams said...

One of my can openers works like that and I love love love it. (I dont think it was WS though) Now I have to run and look. There is a look alike that stinks and sometimes I grab the wrong one. I try and put it away wrong and it somehow makes it way back into the canopener drawer - hmmm, I wonder who does that?

Jane said...

I know what you mean about dents in cans. Also, since when did they stop putting a bottle opener on the other side of a can opener? So annoying now to have to check and see.
We did get an electric can opener when we got married and though my mother warned us it wouldn't last more than a year or so it's still going strong 12 years in and we like it a lot.

Carole said...

I have had the same issues and finally solved it. You might like Can Opener that Works and Keeps On Working