Friday, April 29, 2011

My Other Home

My parents and sister live in New Mexico. They've been there for years now...something like 17 years now I think. That is just crazy to me. I haven't lived anywhere  longer than 5 years straight. So when people ask me where I'm from, or where I claim, I suppose I should choose New Mexico, and though it definitely is home, in some ways it just isn't mine.

After living in Alabama for so many years, although it isn't where I really call home either, it became a home for me. I would love to live out there again someday. The people there are AMAZING. They are more like family than friends. Somewhat like a very large extended family of cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents...wonderful amazing people. Add in that beautiful Southern hospitality, and it's just spectacular. I have a huge chunk of my heart set aside just for these Alabamians.

My other home was hit by some incredibly heart wrending devastation Wednesday. I just cannot believe the videos and images coming out of the city that I lived in and came to love! The miraculous survival stories coming out of there are just too much for words. The terrible stories of people I know watching people die, bodies being found, all in one of the most populated areas of Alabama...it's been quite overwhelming at times.

My parents and sister have all told me how glad they are that I am not out there. And I suppose I should really feel the same way. But all I feel right now is how badly I wish I was out there to be with these wonderful people and to get out and work and help and love and work and hug and comfort and work right along with them!!

I found it interesting today...this morning the weather was absolutely beautiful here in Orem. Clear blue skies, nice and warm. This afternoon, some dark gray clouds rolled in. I got really nervous. I scanned them for signs of rotation, how fast they were traveling, etc. Even now as I am typing this, I can hear the wind rolling by and thunder from the little microburst outside and it is making me jumpy. Yes, here in Utah. I even dreamt of tornadoes last night.

Despite this new fear I have developed and hopefully won't run away with, I would still rather be there in Alabama with my friends helping that city pull itself back onto its feet.

By some incredible miracle, none of my friends out there were hurt. By some incredible miracle, they are all alive. At least so far. I hope, I truly hope, it stays that way.

Please pray for the people of Alabama, especially in the Tuscaloosa area...for many of them, this will be their second night without power or clean running water and other essentials. Many are battling for their lives in hospitals all over the state. Many are homeless and have nothing left. Many are still missing loved ones. And I wouldn't be surprised if some are waiting to be found. They can use all the prayers they can get.

1 comment:

Jane said...

If you were there, they'd have that place cleaned up in a snap!
Yet another example of the prophet knowing his stuff about emergency preparedness - good for your friends!