Monday, August 30, 2010

Life in Utah

Two full days of living in Utah doesn't really qualify the title or the subject of this post, but still, I figured since I haven't posted ANYTHING since the announcement of my move, I should give something of a report concerning post-move things:

Since I didn't think I had internet access at my temporary address, I went to Church with the lady who lives upstairs. It was of course a family ward. Not a single single person in sight...Church was at 2PM. So I did some serious sleeping in, had a nice long chat with the lady upstairs, got ready for Church, and went. Church was the same as any other place. It's fun to note the differences in how the Aaronic Priesthood line up for their return to the Sacrament table...someone always screws up, and for some reason I find this very entertaining. I think it remarkable that these young men, mostly 12 and 13 years old, are really acting on behalf of the Savior in passing the Sacrament to us.

Anyways, after Church I enjoyed homemade gourmet pizza made by my lovely cousin John, whom I have been reunited with after years of not seeing each other (Madsen side, I have a cousin John on both sides so I thought I should clarify a bit...). I got to hang out with his wonderful wife Lora with whom I have great hopes of becoming amazing friends with and their darling baby daughter Maya!!! I am getting my baby fix! Woot. The pizza was AMAZING...one of them had squash and chicken with BBQ sauce...amazingly fantastic! For dessert we had homemade chocolate chip cookies and I seriously need to get her recipe because they were PERFECT.

Monday...went into work, and after 1 1/2 hours of training he said 'come back tomorrow'...it was 12:00pm. So I took myself up to Temple Square. It was FREEZING cold for a summer day, but I didn't let that get me down. I visited all the buildings I have always wanted to visit and never have, including the Relief Society Building in which I saw Sister Dibb, the General YW 2nd Counselor (also Pres. Monson's daughter)...didn't say hi to her, but I know for a fact she is about 4 inches shorter than me now. Anyways, I digress. The Relief Society Building is absolutely beautiful. This lovely hostess took me on a personal tour, and I just loved it. I even saw where the general RS, YW and Primary presidencies have their offices. Totally cool! I went into the Church Office Building and went up to the Observation Deck. Now THAT is an amazing view...I also check out the Beehive house and had linner (or dunch...what ever you feel like calling a meal between lunch and dinner) at the Lionhouse. Saw an organ recital in the Conference Center...and unfortunately I wasn't all that impressed...he isn't my favorite organist, so...his rendition of Come, Come Ye Saints was interesting though. And he ended well, so that was good. I poked around the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, and discovered there are stake offices in that building...I just love that lobby in there though...such a beautiful room. I sat there for quite a while just taking in the detailing and listening to the pianist perform. She was pretty good. When she made a mistake, she made it sound like she did it on purpose. Good musician...

Drove around a bit. Enjoyed I-15 rush hour traffic all the way down to Orem and decided I would NEVER drive in that again. Tried to figure out my way around the Provo area. Will take a bit, I can already tell. The grid is great and all, but I like Arizona's style of addresses a bit more, to be perfectly honest.

Called Mom. Called sister. That constitutes FHE. :) Actually, I still didn't think I had internet access, and I have bugged certain friends of mine who are single and live in the area enough over the last few days, so I decided to sit this one out. Next week, though...:)

The best news of all: There is an In-N-Out not 10 minutes from where I am. I know where I am going for lunch tomorrow...:) happy happy joy joy...

4 comments:

Jane said...

Awesome summation. I like that you noticed the spiritual stuff AND the temporal stuff while you were looking. I hope your job knows what an awesome employee they're getting!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Don't forget that my brother, Ben, is there too. I know he'd love to see you. His number is 702-378-6497 Congratulations on your move!

Rocketgirl said...

Is it bad that the thing that excited me the most was that there's an In-N-Out by you?? In Utah??? The mind boggles!! I'm so happy for you to be in Utah, really. I think there is much there for Elizabeth to enjoy. You appreciate the little things - and the big ones too. And being so close to Temple Square and all that is awesome - I'm slightly jealous!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the organist. Sometimes the weekend "guest" organists are not that great.