Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Repentance: A wonderful thing

Okay, so most of you who read my blog are members of the Church, but for those who aren't, indulge me in sharing a story of the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr. One day he went to work on translating the Book of Mormon, a process by which he needed to be in tune with the Spirit. He went into the room, and didn't say a word. He couldn't do it. He walked out of the room, went to his wife, and asked her forgiveness for a disagreement they just had had. After reconciling with his wife, the Prophet Joseph was able to again return to the work of translating. What an amazing story, right? Well, I had my taste of it tonight.
I was about to read the scriptures when I was really troubled by something that had happened between my Mom and I earlier. I walked into my bathroom and I found one of my letters opened and out on the counter. It was a bill. And to be honest, it was past due, although I should not have been charged because I ended my service. Anyways, I got upset because my Mom had opened my mail (my Dad never opens the mail, so I knew it was my Mom). I walked over to her and asked her why she opened it. She said because the envelope had "final notice" written on the envelope. I asked her to never open my mail again. She looked flustered and upset, but she turned away and said okay, and so I walked back to my room.
Now, as I am trying to read the scriptures, I realize that I need to do something for my Mom to let her know that I forgive her for opening my letter and to let her know that I love her. So I made a card for her out of construction paper (I know, so elementary school, right?). I put it on her chair so she could find it there when she was done with the computer. I go over to her and give her a kiss and a hug. She then asks if I had read her email to me. I said no, and so she pulled it up. Turns out she didn't notice who the letter was addressed to until after she had opened the letter. Now I feel like dirt! I felt so bad. Anyways, she asked me to forgive her. So I went and grabbed the card I made for her, and she laughed at the fact it was made out of construction paper and read the card. We both were smiling and laughing and felt a weight lifted. What a wonderful feeling.
I just thought I would share that with all of you. It's one of those sweet experiences that are worth more than all the money in the world.
Oh, and now I can read the scriptures! :)
================================================
Elizabeth has a job interview Monday in AZ. Pray for me! Noon AZ time. I applied for a receptionist position. Right now I just need a job, so that is what I am going for.
================================================
Oh, and Mr. I want to hang out with you and possibly date you that spread that rumor about him and me didn't show up to FHE, so I wasn't able to talk to him. I doubt I will really get a chance to see him before I leave anyways. Won't be here this Sunday, the Sunday after that is stake conference, and won't be at FHE next Monday. At least, it is very likely that I won't be there. Since Emily and I will be leaving after my interview to come back, we will probably get into town at around 9:00pm. Sucks, cause that is Emily's birthday. BUT I am going to make it up to her. At least she gets to be in AZ for the weekend and gets to hang with Barron! She is happy about that, I know. :)

No comments: