Sunday, September 5, 2010

Football

Once upon a time ago, I couldn't give a hoot about football, let alone college football. I did take pride in that my Uncle Kent taught me how to throw and catch a football correctly, but my joy in football didn't go beyond that. I went to football games in high school and even at Arizona State just to support my friends in the marching band and to watch their show (in high school one year, I was a part of the marching band).

That takes us up to 2004 when I first moved to Alabama. My first year there I was in absolute shock at how people could wrap their entire existence around college football. I mean, it's COLLEGE football. It's not like it's a professional sport or anything...and yet the RV's came out on Monday for the game that was on Saturday. I didn't go to one game that first year. I don't think I even watched a game that first year. I couldn't care less about football.

Second year, one of my fellow graduate students in the music school thought it was absolutely necessary that I go to a game (and he had acquired two tickets) so I could really get the feel for what Alabama football was like. I went, and again I just was baffled...and a bit impressed...the entire stadium sang songs in near perfect rhythm...pitch was another matter, but still! They new the Alabama fight song better than our national anthem, which is a SEVERE tragedy, but nevertheless I was still amazed. The game was alright. I think we left early so that we could avoid traffic.

Then I don't know what happened. Perhaps it was the amazing BBQ you could get on the Strip before the game. Or the fact that everywhere you went around town you could hear the fight song, and it was pounded into me. Or maybe it was listening to Jason, Cody, and pretty much everyone else go over play after play or stats or the radio station at Jason's desk at work constantly talking about Alabama football...even in MARCH. Or maybe I just really learned to care for Alabama, but it finally seeped into my blood. I bleed crimson. :) I am not as fanatical as most Alabama fans seem to be, but I definitely cheer for them. Last year was just absolutely an amazing ride to take. I hope this year is just as wonderful.

Now, being that I went to Arizona State, I do still cheer for them. And I now live in Cougar country, and it's my Dad's Alma Mater, so I will cheer for BYU as well. But there will be a special place for Alabama football with me for a long time coming...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

2 comments:

Sherry H said...

I think John gets season tickets for the cougars, you should ask him.

Jane said...

I know what you mean - I was NOT AT ALL into football until my second year of college and then the Trojans beat Notre Dame for the first time in 17 years. It was amazing and I was hooked.