Saturday, September 6, 2008

To Be Like Mary...

A scripture that I have always loved and that was recently set apart in a lesson has been on my mind...you know in the New Testament when Mary observed certain parts of the Saviors life, and she kept those things in her heart...what an amazing woman. I mean, I know that if I had observed the Savior's life, knowing me I would tell the world about it. You know, the way most parents are about their kids. They tell everyone that their kid got a scholarship to this school, won the art competition, caught the winning touchdown, etc...but Mary, she kept them in her heart.


I want to be like Mary.

Now, let me say this...if you tell me not to tell anyone about something, I won't. Period. I am very good about that. If I see something that I think should be kept private...I usually am good about keeping it to myself. I am NOT professing to be perfect by any means. I give my opinions probably too liberally on certain things, but I am much more conscious of myself doing that than I used to be and this is something that I am working on...

...but my word, I want to be like Mary. Yes, it's flattering to be talked and bragged about, or rather, when I am the one doing the talking and the bragging, that sense of "I told you something that NO one else knows about and it's better than anything you could say" (I am exaggerating the point of course by saying that in most cases) but...you know, there is a point where pride really sets in and takes hold. And really, there are certain things that really are and should be kept private. Not really because they are secret, but because they are sacred, they are personal, and to be frank they are nobody's business.

One thing I am going to do, and I have thought about this for a while now, is keep my dating life to myself. No more blog entries on dates. Of course I will let the world know if I am in a relationship, but no more revelations to the world of dates. No, I am not dating anyone, nor do I think I will be anytime soon (meaning over the next year, but you never know I guess), this is just something that I have decided to do.

Brigham Young said the following: “The man who cannot know things without telling any other living being upon the earth, who cannot keep his secrets and those that God reveals to him never can receive the voice of his Lord to dictate him.”

So therefore, Elizabeth is going to attempt something that I am sure many think is impossible: shutting up. :)

Ha, all throughout this blog post, I have been reminded of the scene in the 1961 Parent Trap where the housekeeper says "It's none of my nevermind, I don't say a word..." and then blabs her heart away...if you cue up the following video to about 5:10 into it, you can watch it...(I found the WHOLE MOVIE on youtube...what is the copyright time frame for videos, is it 50 years? I am SURE that it shouldn't be on youtube, but for the sake of this blog entry I am only going for that one short scene...)



And no, I am not going to completely shut up, that would be impossible. Just...not gossip, and keep certain things to myself, that's all...

Boy, this is going to be really tough, isn't it????

3 comments:

Big Tom the Great and Magnificent said...

Brigham was a smart man. I think you are on the right track. I would like to think however that since I am your coolest couzin, I would have exclusive rights and be privey to top secret information

Jane said...

That is a great movie. Maureen O'Hara is fantstic. I want to be her in my next life.
I can respect your desire to not talk about the guys you date. That's very cool of you. But we are going to miss the living vicariously through you...

Rocketgirl said...

Hrm, I kiiiind of respect yourdecision, but I also love to giggle at dating stories. Especially when the guy does something soooo boneheaded. I don't wnat that to happen to you, mind you, but I will miss the dating shenanigans:)

And while contemplating the pride thing, I have tried to cut out saying "I'm so proud of you.." and other such things - since the word pride was never used in a positive way in the scriptures. But I can't come up with another word to say! Quite confuzzling.