Saturday, October 13, 2007

The game, AZ fans and randomness

Well, we lost, but you know what? Grandma and I were just happy to be there, and I can now say that I have been to a post-season MLB game. I will take a picture of my outfit once I get a camera that works or a way to connect my digital video camera to my computer...long story, don't really feel like explaining why I don't have a connection to my computer right now.

Anyways, I have decided that AZ Diamondback funs totally stink. Seriously, they do. Now, granted, I was at an Alabama football game a few weekends ago, and college football fans in the South are unlike fans of ANY kind of sport I have seen in the West (been to Dodger, Padres, Diamondbacks, ASU football/baseball/soccer/basketball/swim meets/ultimate frisbee (club sport) and BYU football games).

THEY WERE SITTING IN OVERTIME IN AN NLCS GAME!!!!

There was maybe one inning when I thought the place actually sounded like a baseball game. They weren't yelling, screaming, getting involved. Okay, they did, but only when the freaking ump at second called our guy out stealing second when he was totally safe, and when we actually scored a run. But for crying out loud. I was bothered by that. And then I would get over it and be a good fan, and everyone would look at me funny, and I would look right back at them funny. COME ON PEOPLE! AH!!

I can't believe Grandma made it to the end of the game. I took her home at midnight. Way to go, Grandma. She was a good fan. :)

======================================================

I am the kind of person that when I don't know something, or I hear someone say something and I think they are off, or that I might be wrong about something, or whatever, I look it up. I don't like to waste time mulling over it if I have the resources to verify the information. So I have all kinds of random facts in my brain. For example:

One of my colleagues at work mentioned silent movies, and she wondered if there were any still played in the theaters. She has some coming on her NETFLIX lineup, but she would like to go see a live one.

So I open up my browser, type in www.google.com, and google silent movie showings az. So I get around to this:

http://www.reelclassics.com/Links/bigscreen.htm

which leads me to this:

http://www.silentsundays.info/orpheum.aspx

They show silent movies on certain Sundays with live accompaniment on this amazing restored wurlizter organ! How cool is that?! Yes, it is on a Sunday, but how awesome is that, seriously?

Up until last year there was a silent movie theater in LA, but it has been changed to where they have showings on Mondays and special occasions.

And while looking it up, I learned all sorts about silent movie stars. :) Very fun!

****************

another example, and this one is short. At my job, one of the things we do is update provider files in our database (check licenses, make sure they are accredited, etc.). Sometimes we get an MD that also has PA after his name, (obviously, an MD would NEVER put down PA being that he is a physician and NOT a physician's assistant/PA) which businesses sometimes use as part of their name. I had never looked it up, so I googled, and of course wiki came up, and out of all the uses for PA, the one that made sense in this case was Professional Association. So, now you know.

It's amazing all the cool little things one can learn online. :) And dang it, I am curious.

Happy learning!

No comments: